Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Customer Support" Doesn't Support Customer

How does one contact Roku customer support that supports customers? Is there some sort of "trick?" Maybe a special phone number, or email address. I tried online text chat. That was a disaster. The representative didn't know even basic facts about Roku's products and instructed me to call Customer Support. I did so, and the phone support agent was definitely a grade above the online person, but then also went down a road that was irrelevant. When I mentioned the folly of their suggestion, they told me they needed to "educate" me. So I responded, "Okay, educate me." they said nothing for 5 minutes and so I hung up the call. Specifically, the online chat person told me I needed to remove and reinstall the batteries in the remote in order to re-pair the remote. The remote is rechargeable and has no user accessible battery compartment for the user to open. I'm using a Roku Ultra as the streaming device, connected to a Smart TV via a Yamaha AVR. I'm using the TV as a video display monitor only. I am using the Smart TV as a dumb video monitor. I am not using the TV's Roku application. The TV only functions to display the streaming video switched to it via the Yamaha AVR. The TV does not processing, not even audio, and only functions to decode & display video via HDMI. The TV is unaware of video source. Nevertheless, the Roku Customer Support, ever eager to not support customers, insisted I needed to contact the TV manufacturer for support. How does one get good support from Roku? Who at Roku does someone like Elon Musk call when *his* Roku streaming player malfunctions?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: "Customer Support" Doesn't Support Customer

If the problem is pairing a remote(??), have you tried this?

https://support.roku.com/article/360011621473

For support, I like this forum.  If you can’t find your question answered in any existing thread, then I suggest you create a thread with a title that summarizes the problem and a clear description of exactly what you are trying to do and where it goes wrong.  Try to write it so that someone who isn’t there can clearly understand it.

Also, a little white space between paragraphs makes it easier to read.  And the more people who read it, the more likely you’ll find someone who knows something.

There’s a part of your post about your TV, but I didn’t understand any specific problem about it. Unless you mean “TV is unaware of video source”, in which case, you would use the TV remote to make sure the TV is on the right input (the AVR), and the AVR remote to make sure the AVR is on the right input (the Roku). 

If all the gizmos are HDMI-CEC-compliant (and not buggy) then you may be able to get something fancier going, but the manual way should work in all cases.

A player malfunctioning would be a warranty thing, or if its old, just buy another one, because I think these devices are too cheap to pay someone to repair them.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos

Re: "Customer Support" Doesn't Support Customer

Do they have some alternate contact information to reach the support team?  Maybe you should look further into their contacts to complain about the issues that you have with Roku.

0 Kudos