Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nopocky
Reel Rookie

new remote made a popping noise in my hand and stopped working

The remote for my Roku Express 4k+, which was purchased just under three months ago, made a popping noise in my hand and stopped working.  I thought the battery somehow had exploded but it's not that.  Help?

4 REPLIES 4
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: new remote made a popping noise in my hand and stopped working

Did you put new batteries in it? Has it done it again?

MilesT
Roku Guru

Maybe a capacitor let go.  One of the most common root cause for device failures (other than user damage), and the symptoms fit.  Try new batteries anyway (or if VR pro, charge it overnight with a known good charger).

Unless you know an electronics expert who will work for little money for a few hours to diagnose and repair, you probably will have to buy replacement (or maybe a warrantee replacement via Roku or store).

Not a Roku employee
nopocky
Reel Rookie

Thanks, new batteries *seem* to be doing the trick.  Working now for the most part. 

0 Kudos
Rlbreeze
Streaming Star

Had a costco aaa battery 'explode' in my remote. Sounded like a firecracker or one of those snaps you get from firecracker stands. Opened it up and clear/whitish gel inside.  Cleaned it up and replaced batteries and ok so far. Scared me a "bit" to say the least.

0 Kudos