Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrh0
Channel Surfer

With 2 pro remotes One has headphone plugged in. Can other still control channels, on/off, volume?

Jump to solution

Thinking of buying another Pro Remote for my Roku Ultra.  If I have two remotes paired to one Ultra, what happens when a headphone is plugged into one of them?  Can I use the other to change channels, mute, etc?  Or does using a headphone render the other remote inoperable?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: With 2 pro remotes One has headphone plugged in. Can other still control channels, on/off, volum

Jump to solution

@jrh0-

In my experience, with headphones plugged into my Voice Remote Pro, the tv speakers are not used, and the headphone volume is controlled by that remote.   Volume control and mute on a second remote appear to change the TV's settings, but since the TV's speakers are not being used, this will have no effect until the headphones are unplugged from the VR Pro.

With the remote/headphone combo in charge of the volume, the Roku app on my phone does not receive audio when I put the app in remote listening mode.

All other control functions on additional remotes or the Roku app work as expected.

Incidentally, headphones put a significant drain on the remote's battery,  It's best to only plug them in when actually in use.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Tivoburkee

Re: With 2 pro remotes One has headphone plugged in. Can other still control channels, on/off, volum

Jump to solution

With a headphone plugged in the tv volume will be silent, can't have both, sorry. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: With 2 pro remotes One has headphone plugged in. Can other still control channels, on/off, vo...

Jump to solution

Hi @jrh0,

Thanks for the inquiry!

If you have two Roku remote controls that are associated with your Roku Ultra and plug one of them into your headphones, you can use the private listening feature. The other Roku remote can be used to change channels, mute, and perform other functions.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help you.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jrh0
Channel Surfer

Re: With 2 pro remotes One has headphone plugged in. Can other still control channels, on/off, vo...

Jump to solution

Thanks for your fast and informative response!  Does "other functions" include volume?  I'm asking because I can't control volume or mute to the headphones plugged in to my Roku Pro Remote using a Roku app on my phone.  I'd like to order another pro remote if I can do these things.

0 Kudos
jrh0
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I know having a headphone in one remote kills the sound on the tv.  What I am asking is if the second remote can control the channel, on/off, mute and volume experienced by the headphone plugged into the first remote.  Android app can control channel and on/off but nothing further while the headphone is plugged into an actual remote pro.  I'm wondering if a real 2nd remote pro can do more.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @jrh0,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

The Roku mobile app's private listening feature's volume can be managed using the volume adjust on your mobile phone. Additionally, a second remote will function the same as your primary Roku remote, including changing channels, adjusting volumes, and turning on/off your Roku streaming device.

If there's anything we can further assist you with aside from this, please let us know.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@jrh0-

In my experience, with headphones plugged into my Voice Remote Pro, the tv speakers are not used, and the headphone volume is controlled by that remote.   Volume control and mute on a second remote appear to change the TV's settings, but since the TV's speakers are not being used, this will have no effect until the headphones are unplugged from the VR Pro.

With the remote/headphone combo in charge of the volume, the Roku app on my phone does not receive audio when I put the app in remote listening mode.

All other control functions on additional remotes or the Roku app work as expected.

Incidentally, headphones put a significant drain on the remote's battery,  It's best to only plug them in when actually in use.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
jrh0
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Doesn't work.  Just bought 2nd Roku Voice Remote Pro.  When I plug in a headphone to one remote, only that remote can control the headphone's volume and mute.  The other remote can change channels and turn the TV on/off, nothing else.  But when that other remote turns off the TV, TV sound continues in headphone.  2nd remote can make TV screen display a rising or lowering of volume and mute, but, of course it's meaningless, as there is no sound from the TV.

Oddly, when on/off is pressed on the remote with the headphone plugged in, the sound goes briefly to the TV set, and then returns to the headphone.  The picture is unaffected - the TV does not turn off.

The Roku app has no volume control.  My phone does, but changing the volume on my phone has no effect on the volume of the headphone plugged in to the Roku Voice Remote Pro.

makaiguy has the right answer.

0 Kudos