Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tobes2102

Will Insignia remote for LG tv work with Roku streaming box?

Jump to solution

My old remote died so I bought an insignia universal for LG Tv's.  I have a Roku streaming box I use for watching streaming.  My new remote works on the tv but it so far wont pair or work on the Roku box.  Can anyone provide info that would help me synch the Roku box to my new insignia remote (Insignia NS-RMTLG21).  Thanks!!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Will Insignia remote for LG tv work with Roku streaming box?

Jump to solution

From what I can see on the Best Buy web site, that is not a universal remote. It appears to have some limited ability to control a soundbar or AVR, but that doesn't mean it can control a Roku player. 

There are universal IR remotes that will work with a Roku player, but this isn't one of them. Also, you cannot use any IR remote with a Roku Stick (the Roku that plugs directly into the HDMI port without a cable). If you have a Stick, you can only use a real Roku remote. If it's any other Roku player, then yes a universal IR remote with Roku codes can be used.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

From what I can see on the Best Buy web site, that is not a universal remote. It appears to have some limited ability to control a soundbar or AVR, but that doesn't mean it can control a Roku player. 

There are universal IR remotes that will work with a Roku player, but this isn't one of them. Also, you cannot use any IR remote with a Roku Stick (the Roku that plugs directly into the HDMI port without a cable). If you have a Stick, you can only use a real Roku remote. If it's any other Roku player, then yes a universal IR remote with Roku codes can be used.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I also browsed that remote.  It does also make limited references to a learning mode, which should in theory allow it to learn codes (one button at a time) from other remotes.  A lot of people find learning mode to be a somewhat “tricky” process and it does require doing it a button at a time, and thinking through how you plan to map buttons on the old remote (which you must have, of course) onto the new remote.  But since you already have the new remote (and hopefully the Roku remote), then you could try it out and see if it works.  Of course, like @atc98092  said, this can only work for Roku models that accept IR codes (not Sticks.)

Oh, and when I say you must have the old Remote, I don’t mean the Roku phone app, since that works via RF/Wi-Fi, not IR.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos