Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KSMatthew
Reel Rookie

Voice Remote Pro - no IR signal to TV for volume

I've seen other posts on this topic, but I haven't seen a solid solution.

Problem:  I have 2 Voice Remote Pro remotes and they are doing the same thing.  They simply stop sending IR signals that control the TV volume.

I've verified this by using the camera on my cell phone.  I will see 3 different behaviors: 1) normal behavior, I can see the IR signal clearly as long as I hold a volume button, 2) no signal at all, 3) a single short flash and then nothing.

This started a few months ago and both are showing the same symptoms.  They are both approx the same age, both have the most recent s/w versions and updates.  They usually don't work at all, or simply give a short flash that isn't enough to control the volume.  Sometimes, for no apparent reason, they will work for a short period, maybe a few hours, and then stop.  "Hey, the remote is working the volume again!  Oh, never mind, it already quit."

I've made sure the batteries are charged. 

I've been through all the TV/Remote pairing setup operations multiple times.  It's been a while, so I don't remember the exact details of when I did it and how the remote was or was not working.

All other functions are controlled through the Roku, but the TV requires the IR signals for volume.

Has anyone ever figured out what the real problem is and how to fix it?

Is there a way to do a factory reset on these remotes?  They are rechargeable, so I can't just remove the batteries.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Voice Remote Pro - no IR signal to TV for volume

Hello! @KSMatthew,

A warm welcome from the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reaching out to us. We're pleased to assist.

Troubleshoot your Roku Voice Remote Pro

For additional help solving an issue with your Roku Voice Remote Pro or one of its features, refer to the detailed articles below:

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KSMatthew
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the response.

I’ll go through each of the steps, but I have low confidence.  The Roku stick and remote work together just fine.  The volume and mute buttons send IR signals to the TV: but the IR part of the remote rarely works.  I can verify this using an IR sensitive camera on my cell phone.  For some reason both remotes stop sending IR, so they can’t control volume.

But i will go through all the steps you recommend.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @KSMatthew,

Thanks for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

Please be advised that a Roku voice remote pro connects over a wireless network and does not need to be pointed directly at your Roku streaming player or Roku TV when pressing buttons. This allows you to install your Roku streaming player behind a wall-mounted TV or another nearby, out-of-sight location. Voice remotes will either have a pairing button or a button combination to initiate the pairing process and establish the dedicated wireless connection with your Roku streaming device. Unlike a Roku simple remote, which uses an invisible infrared (IR) light to transmit, the button presses a short distance. For a simple remote to operate reliably, it must be pointed directly at the Roku streaming device (which it is controlling), and there must be nothing that could block the signal from traveling to the front of that device (where the IR receiver is located). You can check out this support article to learn more about your Roku voice remote pro. You can also check out this support article for troubleshooting steps on how you can fix your Roku remote.

We hope this helps. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KSMatthew
Reel Rookie

Follow up:

I tried all the troubleshooting procedures above.  They don’t do anything, as far as I can tell, with the remote transmitting the IR signal to the television for volume control.  The remotes, both of them, will simply stop transmitting.  I can verify this with a cell phone camera.  Sometimes they will work normally for a few seconds, then stop again for days.

I gave up trying to figure this out.  A few days ago I discovered that both are working normally again.  I did nothing to either remote after trying those troubleshooting procedures. After those procedures failed to solve anything I just lived with having to use the Roku remotes for power and channels, then the original TV remote for volume.  I kept testing the remotes multiple times a day, and then they both simply started working again.

Were there any recent Roku updates for the remotes?

Whatever happened that solved my problem, I hope it sticks.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.