Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RMack150

Using Antenna with Roku Streambar and Roku TV

I figured out how to use a TV antenna with my Roku Streambar and my Roku TV to receive over-the-air TV (such as local stations).

Caveat: Like anything, your mileage may vary.

I have a TCL Roku TV that had already been installed with an antenna and the over-the-air-channels had been previously scanned.

I then added a Roku Streambar

1. During installation of the Streambar, make sure that the Settings > System > Control other devices > 1-touch play. is turned OFF. (This will permit you to use both the Roku TV & the Roku Streambar on the same device, the TCL TV in my case, but not at the same time).

2. Use the new Streambar voice-remote to control the Roku system through the Streambar.

3. Turn the Streambar OFF using the off button in the Streambar Roku menu, not on the remote. (I have found the power switch on the new remote does not turn off, but does turn on). Then unplug the power cord from the Streambar.

4. Use the old Roku TV remote to turn on the Roku TV (it will default because the Streambar has no power). Now you can access all of the Roku TV functions, including the antenna channels. (Make sure that the Streambar is not blocking the sensor for the Roku TV).

5. To use the Roku Streambar again, turn off the Roku TV using the old remote. Plug-in the power for the Streambar again, and then use the new remote to operate the Roku Streambar. 

It is somewhat annoying but you have to switch to the Roku TV to use the antenna channels (using the old remote), and switch back to the Roku Streambar for better sound quality (using the new remote).

Kind Regards!

Richard

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Using Antenna with Roku Streambar and Roku TV

No, you didn't have to do any of that, just stop using the Streambar remote period. Make sure the Streambar is connected to the hdmi-arc input on Roku tv, refresh the cec devices in your Roku tv settings, and stop using the Streambar remote even to just power the TV, you will ALWAYS end up on the Streambar home if you use its remote. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Clwclw75

How do you refresh the Roku?

0 Kudos
Clwclw75

Another thing, so does this mean that you’re only using the Roku sound bar for the sound bar? Because I bought the sound bar to be a better connection to the Wi-Fi because my TV always disconnects from the Internet because the Roku that’s built-in is weak. Doesn’t negate that? And it becomes just a sound bar and not really a Roku.? I got the sound bar to work through the television however, I didn’t really buy the Roku sound bar just for the sound …

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Clwclw75,

We are grateful that you have reached out to us and for making this, your first post inside the Roku community.

Please be aware that the Roku Streambar can be connected to a television that is either a Roku TV or a television that is not a Roku TV. If you have a Streambar linked to a Roku TV, the TV will take over as the primary streaming device, while the Streambar will be limited to its role as an audio device. In addition to that, you are able to continue utilizing your Roku Streambar as a streaming player. In order to start using the streaming player in your Streambar, you will first need to unhide the tile representing the HDMI input by following these steps:

1. Press the Home button home button on Roku remote on your Roku TV remote.
  2. Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  3. Select TV inputs followed by Roku Streambar.
  4. Select Show input.

Note: After the changes, your Roku TV will no longer work as a streaming device, and to control your Streambar, you need to use the remote included with it.

For more information, please refer to our support page here: How do I set up my Roku® Streambar® with my Roku TV™?

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos