Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkT1

Upgrade from Roku Premiere to Roku Premiere+ Remote

Jump to solution

I recently purchased several Roku Premiere devices to replace some digital TV cable boxes in my house. With current setup, I have to use the TV remote for ON/OFF and Volume, and the Roku remote to change programs.  I'm getting tired of having to use 2 remotes.  Looks like I should have purchased the Premiere+ device because apparently that remote has TV controls on the remote.

1) If I buy the Premiere+ streaming device that has TV controls and TV volume on the remote, how difficult is the transition? Is it a simple unplug old device/plug in new device ... where I will not have to go through all the trouble of choosing my programs, activating all the indiv channels with codes, etc.?

2) Re the current Roku premiere devices, does Roku have any type of "trade-in" program or something where I can return the Premiere devices in exchange for the Premiere+ devices ... and get some type of credit?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Upgrade from Roku Premiere to Roku Premiere+ Remote

Jump to solution

The remote you want is the Voice Remote, found on this page. It can be paired with any Premiere or Premiere+, along with a number of other Roku models. 

Your current remote is IR, which doesn't require pairing to the device. You can pair the new remote by using the existing remote to access the Settings/Remote menu to add a new remote. Once the new one is paired you won't need to use the old one. But keep it around after you remove the batteries. No, nothing else on the device will be changed just by pairing a WiFi Direct remote.

No, Roku has no trade-in program. And Roku no longer sells a Premiere+ version. You would have to buy a Streaming Stick+ or Ultra to get a model with a WiFi Direct remote. Any Premiere+ you find "new" are actually going to be a 7th generation (2018) or older device (the latest Ultra is considered the 9th generation). 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Upgrade from Roku Premiere to Roku Premiere+ Remote

Jump to solution

The remote you want is the Voice Remote, found on this page. It can be paired with any Premiere or Premiere+, along with a number of other Roku models. 

Your current remote is IR, which doesn't require pairing to the device. You can pair the new remote by using the existing remote to access the Settings/Remote menu to add a new remote. Once the new one is paired you won't need to use the old one. But keep it around after you remove the batteries. No, nothing else on the device will be changed just by pairing a WiFi Direct remote.

No, Roku has no trade-in program. And Roku no longer sells a Premiere+ version. You would have to buy a Streaming Stick+ or Ultra to get a model with a WiFi Direct remote. Any Premiere+ you find "new" are actually going to be a 7th generation (2018) or older device (the latest Ultra is considered the 9th generation). 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.