Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unresponsive Remote / Battery Issue

Roku voice remote keeps becoming unresponsive. It's like it keeps thinking the batteries are dead. I have to pop them out and pop back in for it to work again. But this only works temporarily. This even happens with fresh batteries, although less frequently with fresh ones. I have to do this 10-20 times every time I use the remote. It is very frustrating and causing me to go through batteries bc I can't tell when the batteries are actually dead. 

I tried to contact customer service but didn't get very far and communicating via email ticket system was SLOW.

I see this is a problem many people have but it is just a probelm with the voice remote or the Simple remote too? I was going to downgrade to the Simple remote but if it's going to continue then I'll just invest my money in another system.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unresponsive Remote / Battery Issue

@Anonymous 

I've been using wireless remotes with my Roku devices since 2011. Not the same remotes, of course, but I've been buying Roku devices with wireless remotes for that long. I've not had performance issues.

When you go to the Remote settings on the menu, what is the battery life showing there?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

The battery levels are "Unknown" in the settings, even though they are brand new, name-brand batteries.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Anonymous 

That's indicative of a problem with the remote itself (my guess) or the Roku device. That is something I've never seen in over 10 years of Roku wireless remote usage (various models of Roku wireless remotes).

If it's a new device and the remote is the one that came with it, return it. If you bought it locally (always buy local if you can), check their return policy.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're lucky to have never seen this in over 10 years but quickly scrolling through this forum and others, it seems like this is a common enough issue people are having. Perhaps it is a compatibility issue with the TV or a defect with the voice activation.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the packaging or receipt so I'll either have to buy a new one or switch to another system, which is why was wondering if people had similar issues with the basic remote. I like Roku but I'd hate to waste more money and have the same issue.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

To return to one of your earlier questions ...

The "Simple remote" is a point-and-shoot line of sight infrared (IR) remote so the Roku must be located where the remote can "see" it directly.  It works right out of the box and does not need to be paired to the Roku.

You didn't mention what Roku model you have.  If yours is a Roku Streaming Stick model, these are normally used behind the set where IR cannot reach, so they are not equipped with IR receptors and cannot be controlled by the Simple remote.  Streaming Stick models require a wifi remote that must be paired to the Roku.

The Simple remote really IS simple and does not have power or volume control buttons for the tv, so you'd need to use your tv's remote for those functions.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos