Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bob_Z
Reel Rookie

Switch Remotes Between TVs

Jump to solution

I have an older streaming stick on my living TV with an older remote that does not have a mute button.  I have purchased a new streaming stick 4k with a new remote.  (1) Can I simply pair old remote to new stick or (2) remove old stick from living room TV and replace it with the new stick and put old one in bedroom where there is no stick now?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Switch Remotes Between TVs

Jump to solution

In most cases, you can do this. 

What model number is the old Roku Streaming Stick?

Edited to add:

Sorry, that wasn't a very complete response.

You most likely can pair the old remote to the new Streaming Stick, depending on what model number Streaming Stick the old remote came with.   (Again, what model number is the old Stick?)  This could give you two remotes to use on the new Streaming Stick.

You could also move the old Streaming Stick and its remote to a second TV.   That's probably what I would do rather than let the old stick go to waste.  If you'd still like a second remote in the living room you can purchase either of the Voice Remote models.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
makaiguy

Jump to solution

In most cases, you can do this. 

What model number is the old Roku Streaming Stick?

Edited to add:

Sorry, that wasn't a very complete response.

You most likely can pair the old remote to the new Streaming Stick, depending on what model number Streaming Stick the old remote came with.   (Again, what model number is the old Stick?)  This could give you two remotes to use on the new Streaming Stick.

You could also move the old Streaming Stick and its remote to a second TV.   That's probably what I would do rather than let the old stick go to waste.  If you'd still like a second remote in the living room you can purchase either of the Voice Remote models.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Bob_Z,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community! 

We appreciate you for letting us know about your inquiry. To answer your question, you can pair a new remote with your old Roku streaming stick. For more information on how to add and pair a Roku remote to your Roku streaming device, kindly refer to this support article at this link: How to set up your Roku voice remote

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bob_Z
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Older stick is 3810X.  New one is 3820X2

0 Kudos
Bob_Z
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

So, the best solution would be to move the old stick and remote to the bedroom TV, which isn't used all that much, and use the new stick and remote in the living room?

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Bob_Z 

You say the remote for your 3810 has no mute button.

The remote that came with my Streaming Stick+ 3810 is a Voice Remote that DOES have a mute button on the right side of the remote, a TV volume rocker button on the right, a TV power toggle button on the front near the top and a microphone button below the purple directional pad.

I do have a Streaming Stick remote with no power, volume, or mute buttons, that was supplied with a Streaming Stick 3600.  I still use this for travel.  I just tried to pair this remote with both my 4K sticks, the 3810 and 3820.  Since this too is a WiFi remote, I thought it should pair to the newer Sticks, but I could not get it to be recognized.  Inside the battery compartment, beneath the batteries, this is identified as remote model RC80.

Perhaps the newer Sticks will only pair with Voice Remotes (??).  But that still begs the question as to exactly what remote you have with no mute button that successfully controls a 3810 stick.   What model number is shown in its battery compartment?   @Tivoburkee is our user here most knowledgeable about remote controls.  Perhaps he can shed some light.  

At any rate, the "old" 3810 is still a viable Roku.  It is still supported by Roku, is still receiving updates, and I know of no channels that have dropped support for it.  Mine is still in occasional use in my guest room.  I personally would rather use it on another TV than let it go to waste, but that's your decision to make.  If the remote you're using on it now doesn't pair to the new 3820 then that makes the decision even easier.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Early models of the 3810 came with RC-AL2 remote, no mute key. It was the RC-al7 remote that was the first remote with mute key. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee-

Ha!  I knew you'd come through.

So if that's the remote @Bob_Z  has, he should be able to pair it with his 3820 if he wants to?

And to complete the loop, my RC80 should or should not pair with 3810/3820?  (Academic question - not that I'd necessarily want to downgrade from my Voice Remotes.)

0 Kudos