Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
olemiss74
Streaming Star

Re: Streaming stick 4k volume issues.

Jump to solution

The remote problem happens only with the volume and mute buttons and it happens randomly regardless of channel.  Batteries are fresh. 

0 Kudos
dollpie1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Worked! So far so good. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @olemiss74

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for bringing this to our attention, and we apologize for the experience you had. Kindly follow the troubleshooting steps below to resolve the issue.

If the power and volume buttons on your remote have stopped working entirely, try to update your Roku device to the most recent software. To manually update your software:

1. Navigate to Settings
  2. Select System
  3. Select System update
  4. Select Check now

Confirm the dialogue box to proceed with download and and installation. Note that your Roku player will automatically download the latest software the next time when it checks for update. After the Roku player finishes restarting, if TV control has not been restored, setup your remote for TV control again by doing the following:

1. Navigate to Settings
  2. Select Remotes & devices
  3. Select Remotes followed by your remote
  4. Select Set up remote for TV control

One additional troubleshooting step we recommend are the step below.

Unpair your Roku remote

1. Press and hold the pairing button for 20 seconds.

Re-pair your voice remote to your streaming device

Put your streaming device in pairing mode:

1. Remove the power cable from your streaming device
  2. Wait at least 5 seconds
  3. Re-connect the power cable
  4. Wait for your streaming device to power on, and the Home screen to appear on your TV screen
  5. Within 30 seconds of seeing the Home screen on your TV screen, put your voice remote into pairing mode

Put your voice remote in pairing mode:

1. Press and hold the pairing button on your voice remote for 20 seconds. The status light should slowly flash green, stop, and then flash rapidly. When this happens, release the pairing button and your remote will restart.
  2. Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash. If the light does not flash, charge your remote.
  3. Wait for 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your streaming device.

Once your streaming device and remote are connected, the pairing dialog will appear on your TV screen.

Please keep us posted on how these works.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
olemiss74
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Looks like you didn't read my original post.  My remote volume and mute buttons (NOT the Power button) fail to work INTERMITTENTLY AND RANDOMLY.  So, your instructions do not apply to my situation.  I have restarted reset, re-paired, updated, etc repeatedly to no avail.  

The remote is obviously defective.  Not sure why that appears to be such a foreign notion to the moderators.  

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@olemiss74,

Thanks for the update and we appreciate the heads-up!

Could you tell us if this is the remote that came along with the device? And how long have you been using it?

Keep us posted!

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I'm sorry but the moderator replies on this topic are an absolute joke. It's as if they are not even reading the posts of the people complaining about the issues. It's as if the mods see the word "Remote" and immediately go to their script of remote troubleshooting and start copying/pasting the same exact instructions over and over again that don't work!

Hey Roku, how about hiring some moderators that can think critically and not ones that simply parrot general troubleshooting tips that do not address the specific problem! This is how the moderators on this board reply almost all the time on all issues, it's really annoying and pathetic.

olemiss74
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I contacted customer service via phone and reported the problem.  Roku sent me a new remote and the problem is solved.  The remote was defective.  

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @olemiss74,

Thank you for letting us know about this!

It is our pleasure to hear that the matter has been resolved. We express our gratitude for your effort and understanding.

Please let us know if there are other related issues that we can further take a look at.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rom513

Jump to solution

Same happening to me though it is happening on multiple applications.  This all started right after the Roku software version was updated to 12.5.5 - 4174 on 1/18/24.  I've re-paired the remote with the stick - set up the remote for TV multiple times - uninstalled/reinstalled YouTube TV - but the same results.  The volume will work briefly and then stop.  Going from one app to another and same thing.  Works briefly and then stops.  The on/off for the TV and all other buttons work fine.  

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @rom513,

Greetings from the Roku Community!
We will be more than happy to assist you further with this issue that you're experiencing. Please try to restart your Roku by going to settings, system, power, and system restart. Try to see if that will be able to fix the problem.

We hope this helps.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos