Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dollpie1
Reel Rookie

Streaming stick 4k volume issues.

Jump to solution

Hello. I have my Roku streaming stick 4k connected to my 1 year old Samsung tv and soundbar. 

I am watching something on let’s say you tubeTV and after a little while the roku remote  volume freezes and I am unable to mute or control the volume. I can do all other functions with the remote. After a few minutes the volume and mute work again. It’s almost like something is heating up and needs to cool down. 
Now, when the volume does work with the roku stick it’s controlling the Samsung sound bar I have connected. 
could that be the issue? 
thanks. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Streaming stick 4k volume issues.

Jump to solution

Hi @dollpie1,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem controlling the volume of your Roku remote. We're happy to assist you. Please try the troubleshooting steps below:

1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Remotes & devices.
  4. Select Remote.
  5. Choose your voice remote from the list and select Set up remote for TV control.
  6. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.

If the problem still persists, please keep us posted.

Kind regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @dollpie1,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem controlling the volume of your Roku remote. We're happy to assist you. Please try the troubleshooting steps below:

1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Remotes & devices.
  4. Select Remote.
  5. Choose your voice remote from the list and select Set up remote for TV control.
  6. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.

Kind regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
olemiss74
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have the exact same problem with two of my 4K streaming stick remotes as dollpie1 described.  The volume & mute buttons freeze frequently for anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes before they begin working again.  The other buttons work fine during these episodes.  The remotes have already been set up using the Remotes & Devices menu,  so no need to suggest going through that process again.  It's not a set up problem, rather, one of dysfunctionality.

Please advise as I will be forced to search for an alternative universal remote that has reliable sound control. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi. @olemiss74

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for discussing the issue you've experienced in this thread. Have you tried performing a system restart on your Roku streaming device to see if you notice any difference? To do this, restart your device from Settings > System > Power > System Restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).

After this, you can also attempt to troubleshoot by unplugging your Roku device from the power source for 1 minute and then plugging it back again.

Please let us know what you find out so further actions can be taken to address this issue.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
olemiss74
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yes I have done that and it doesn't fix the problem.  

0 Kudos
dollpie1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ok. I’ll give it a try and see what happens. 

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response. @olemiss74.

May we know if the remote issue happens when accessing certain shows or channels on your Roku? Are volume and mute the only buttons that have issues on your remote? Have you tried changing the batteries, if applicable? What is the device ID of the Roku device this remote pairs with?

Please let us know.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thank you, @dollpie1

Please let us know if the issue is fixed or reply to the thread If the troubleshooting tips above did not help.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
dollpie1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Good evening. I have YouTubeTV as my TV provider which I access thru the Roku. The volume issue is when I am watching any channel on YouTube TV. 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @dollpie1,

Thank you for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!
We will be more than happy to assist you further with this issue that you're having with the YouTube channel. Please try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  • Restart your Roku device: Press home on your Roku remote, select settings, select system, and system restart.
  • Re-install the channel: Scroll down to search, put the name of the channel or app, highlight the channel, and select add channel.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos