Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nikojawz
Reel Rookie

Streaming Stick remote hasn't worked for a long time, no live customer service to help!

I haven't been able to use my streaming stick for a good year + now because the remote stopped working for it. I went back to using my Roku Express and now I can't use some apps on that because it's out of date. My streaming stick still works besides the remote and I can't get my apps remote to work with it because I can't get my streaming stick hooked up to Wi-Fi without the remote!!! I am so frustrated Roku doesnt have live customer service especially no customer service for outdated products, ugh! What a waste of a device just because I can no longer get a remote and a good way of Roku to get more money out of people by outdating products. I JUST NEED A REMOTE FOR MY STREAMING STICK, IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK??!! 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streaming Stick remote hasn't worked for a long time, no live customer service to help!

If you need a new remote then you need a new remote.  Either of the voice remotes will (should) work with your stick assuming there's nothing wrong with the stick itself and the stick isn't model 3500 or 3400 (it's always a good idea to post the model number of the device in question).

Roku Accessories | Streaming Accessories for Roku Devices & TVs | Roku

What's the issue with your current remote?  Does the pairing light flash when you press and hold the pairing button for 5+ seconds?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Nikojawz
Reel Rookie

Re: Streaming Stick remote hasn't worked for a long time, no live customer service to help!

I have the 3500X model (serial #2LA53N066299). No, the light does not flash when I try pairing the remote. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

The 3500 is from 2014 and no longer supported by many apps, so I think you’d be better off buying a current Roku model than trying to find a remote for the old one. 

Ebay might be your best bet for an old remote if you really want to go that route. I see one with a starting bid of $10 (including the Remote and the Roku.)  Looking at past auctions, $10 to $11 dollars does appear to be the going rate, but at that price, I’d get a new model.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Nikojawz-

Roku does not list Roku Streaming Sticks before model 3600 as being compatible with either Voice Remote.  Your 3500 (released in 2014) used a unique remote that has not been available for several years now.  

The 3500 is now considered a legacy model that is no longer supported.  It cannot run Roku operating software beyond version 11.0 -- 11.5 is in the late stages of being rolled out now.  I think it's time to replace that old 3500 with a newer, more capable model.

As new Roku models emerge with additional features and capabilities, app developers decide whether to incorporate these features into their apps, and whether to continue including code to support older Roku models lacking these new features.

A number of major streaming services are new enough to never have supported the 3500 in the first place.  Others have dropped support for the 3500.  This trend can only continue as developers see less value in complicating their app coding to continue support for dwindling numbers of these older devices that remain in use. 

Unfortunately, many channel developers just say they support Roku but don't list the Roku models they support on their websites, making it hard to do a determination.  Some Roku channel apps I know of that currently do not support the 3500 (there may well be others):
• Amazon Prime Video
• Apple TV
• Fubo (supported with limited functionality)
• Peacock
• YouTubeTV
• Xfinity Stream

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos