Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tarden
Reel Rookie

Simple remote not working

Model 3930RW 

I just bought this Roku devise today for my Samsung TV and I hooked everything up exactly how it says and when it gets to the set up screen on the tv, the Roku remote will not work. I used the batteries that came with, doesn’t work…I bought brand new batteries NONE of the 8 pk will make it work. 
HELP!!  This is frustrating. 

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Simple remote not working

You can point the remote at your phone's camera and press a button and you should see a flash of light on the phone's screen.  If you don't, take it back.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Tarden
Reel Rookie

I did that as well. Nothing. 😩🤦🏻‍♀️

0 Kudos
makaiguy

One common mistake to check, easy to overlook.

Some Roku remotes want the batteries to be installed pointing in the same direction.  Others want the batteries pointing in opposite directions. I don't have an Express so I don't know which applies.  Check your battery orientation against the battery illustrations molded into the battery compartment, below the battery space.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Tarden
Reel Rookie

I have done this as well 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Tarden,

We appreciate you reaching out to the Roku community!

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. Kindly include the serial number of your Roku device so we can assist further.

Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jazzdoc
Reel Rookie

I just eliminated my cable box.  But now my Roku Express simple remote does not work.  The Roku is receiving power.  The splash screen is on the TV.  I've replaced the batteries.  The SN is X004007HUU0J.  Please assist--Jeff

0 Kudos
renojim

What do you mean by "splash screen is on the TV"?  When the devices starts it displays a startup animation that should disappear and then you should see the Home Screen.  If it's not getting to the Home Screen it has nothing to do with the remote.  Check the power source.  If you're using the TV's USB port for power try using the supplied power adapter or one from a phone or tablet.

0 Kudos
Jazzdoc
Reel Rookie

I referred to the Home screen as the "splash screen."  The home screen comes up on the TV.  The batteries are new.  Nothing happens when I try to use the remote.

0 Kudos
renojim

I see.  There have been quite a few posts about simple remotes not working.  The suggestion to make sure you're using the supplied power adapter still applies, but I'd be a little surprised if that's it.  Try new batteries in the remote - don't assume the batteries that came with it are good.  You can test the remote by pointing it at a digital camera like the one in a phone.  You should see a flash of light on the camera screen when you press a button on the remote.  Some people have posted that the remote only works if it's a few inches from the front of the Express.  Not that that helps, but it might show if the remote works at all.

0 Kudos