Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonlee

Setting up Roku stick but my remote won’t pair

I have exactly the same issue with my newly bought streaming stick 4k and voice remote (without a paring button). I tried everything in the troubleshooting guide, but no luck so far. Anything I can do further?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Setting up Roku stick but my remote won’t pair

Hi, @Jonlee

It's our pleasure to welcome you here in the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for sharing this information with us, and we're sorry to hear that you're having trouble pairing your Roku remote to your device. Rest assured that we'd be more than glad to assist. For this matter, we recommend re-pairing your remote to see if it's able to pair.

Re-pair your voice remote to your streaming device

Put your streaming device in pairing mode:

1. Remove the power cable from your streaming device
  2. Wait at least 5 seconds
  3. Re-connect the power cable
  4. Wait for your streaming device to power on, and the Home screen to appear on your TV screen
  5. Within 30 seconds of seeing the Home screen on your TV screen, put your voice remote into pairing mode

Put your voice remote in pairing mode:

1. Remove the battery cover on the back of your voice remote
  2. Remove both batteries from the battery compartment
  3. Wait 5 seconds and then reinsert the batteries
  4. If your remote has a pairing button, press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash.
  5. If your remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold both the Home button and Back button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash.
  6. If the status light does not flash, try replacing the batteries.
  7. Wait for 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your streaming device.

Once your streaming device and remote are connected, the pairing dialog will appear on your TV screen. If you're unable to pair your remote, we recommend changing the batteries and once more.

Keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I have tried all these suggestions and the Roku won't pair with the tv.  Now what?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Are you using the original USB cable with bump in it? The remote doesn't communicate with Stick itself, only the usb cable with the bump. Like this:

Roku USB Power Cable with Long-range Wi-Fi® Receiver | Roku

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos