Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brentwood
Reel Rookie

Samsung Tv won't stay off

Jump to solution

I've had a Roku 4k+ for a couple of months.  It is connected to my Samsung Q7 tv.  When I turn off the television it stays off for a few seconds or a minute or so, then the TV turns back on.  I've tried resetting the remote settings but the only think that seems to allow me to turn off the tv is to disconnect power to the Roku.  Turning the tv off using the tv remote has the same result, turns back on after a short delay.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
brentwood
Reel Rookie

Re: Samsung Tv won't stay off

Jump to solution

Thank you Lianna.

The problem appears to be resolved although not necessarily with any of the suggestions.

I did find a firmware update and applied that.  No change.

I tried to make the suggested power changes, but I found only options for "Auto Power Savings" and "System Restart".  I could not find the options you mentioned anywhere.

Ultimately, I did a factory reset and reinstalled the Roku.  So far, that seems to have solved the issue.  I've got my fingers crossed that it is the fix.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @brentwood

Welcome to the Roku Community!

If your Samsung Q7 TV keeps turning back on after you've turned it off, there are a few possible causes and solutions you can try:

• Power settings on the Roku: The Roku device itself might have power-related settings that are causing it to turn the TV back on. Go to Settings > System > Power > Power on/off and make sure it is set to "Auto" or "Off" rather than "On." This should prevent the Roku from triggering the TV to turn on.
  • Firmware updates: Ensure that both your Roku and Samsung TV have the latest firmware updates installed. These updates can often include bug fixes and improvements that might address the issue you're experiencing.
  • Remote control interference: In some cases, other remote controls or devices emitting infrared signals in the vicinity of your TV could be causing the TV to turn back on. Try moving any other devices away from the TV or turning them off to see if the issue persists.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
brentwood
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you Lianna.

The problem appears to be resolved although not necessarily with any of the suggestions.

I did find a firmware update and applied that.  No change.

I tried to make the suggested power changes, but I found only options for "Auto Power Savings" and "System Restart".  I could not find the options you mentioned anywhere.

Ultimately, I did a factory reset and reinstalled the Roku.  So far, that seems to have solved the issue.  I've got my fingers crossed that it is the fix.

0 Kudos
jrforbes31298
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Samsung Tv turns back on. This started with the ROKU software update from May 18th. Temporarily solved by turning ANYTIME feature off on TV. However, this caused the sound bar connected to the TV to no longer work. Unplugged ROKU and now running all apps thru smart TV. Very disappointing since we have ROKU on other TVs and wanted to keep all looking the same.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @jrforbes31298,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We apologized for the inconvenience this has caused and we appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've done so far. 

For us to better understand the issue you are experiencing, can you please provide us with more detailed information about the issue you are experiencing? 

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
jrforbes31298
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

When you turn off Tv with either ROKU or TV remote it stays off for a short time then comes back on. This seems to have started after a ROKU software update on May 18th. TV stays off if you remove the ROKU from the issue. Tv is Samsung LED Series 8000. Bought a new ROKU Express 4K thinking old one might have gone bad. Same issue. Noticed software update occurred on May 18 which seems to coincide with the start of the problem. Disabled the ANYNET+ feature on the TV and problem was resolved. However sound bar was unable to be used after disable of ANYNET+ feature. Anynet+ allows you to control any other Samsung devices connected to your TV with the TV remote.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @jrforbes31298,

Thanks for following up and providing additional information.

We would be happy to look further into this issue but we will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, and device ID (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
jrforbes31298
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

ROKU - Model 3941RW2 ROKU Express 4K

Ser # X02200UCW460

Software Version 12.0.0 build 4184-E4

Tracker ID - Timestamp 2023-05-22T19:22:58Z

Issue Id 60-204-202

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi there @jrforbes31298,

Thank you so much for providing the information; we've passed it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. We wanted to let you know that we are continuing to investigate your reported issue and hope to provide you with a more detailed update when additional information is available. 

Thanks for your continued patience. Do not hesitate to let us know if you have any additional feedback.

Regards,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jrforbes31298
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hope to hear from you. Understand these issues may take a little time to resolve.  If you need any more test help just let me know.

0 Kudos