Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ElfinTheSand
Reel Rookie

Samsung Smart TV and ROKU 4k stick’s remote possible cause for not connecting

Jump to solution

Have Samsung Smart TV, and recently purchased #ROKU 4k streaming stick mainly to use remote to power tv’s volume. It does not work. Each time I input a single character into the “Find your tv brand” box, it immediately says no tv found. I believe it is because this particular tv uses the One Connect box, where all the HDMI accessories plug into, including the ROKU Stick. The tv has no built in hdmi ports in the tv itself. So there is no option to have the ROKU 4k Stick plugged directly into the tv. The ROKU stick thinks it’s plugged into an accessory and not a tv

Is this something ROKU has investigated, and if so, is there a workaround? The ROKU stick works very well as a streaming device and the picture is great, but I’m still left with having to use two remotes.  

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: Samsung Smart TV and ROKU 4k stick’s remote possible cause for not connecting

Jump to solution

If the TV doesn't have a direct HDMI connection, then the CEC part of HDMI might not work, and roku uses cec to control the TV.  Unlikely to be an easy fix.

A roku box (eg express4k or ultra) can use IR remote, e.g. oneforall which can also control the TV.

Not a Roku employee

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
ElfinTheSand
Reel Rookie

Re: Samsung Smart TV and ROKU 4k stick’s remote possible cause for not connecting

Jump to solution

Yes, this seems to be the case. The one connect box sure makes things difficult, no wonder Samsung no longer makes them; good idea, bad result.

oh well, lesson learned. I’ll just resign myself to a 2-remote experience until it’s time for a new tv.

thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

It's been reported many times.  I think Roku is looking into it.  I don't know of any workarounds.  I don't know if it will help, but the usual steps to take when a Roku acts up is to reset everything involved - gateway/modem/router and Roku.  Just unplug everything for a few seconds and plug them back in.  On the off chance that it helps, let us know.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If the TV doesn't have a direct HDMI connection, then the CEC part of HDMI might not work, and roku uses cec to control the TV.  Unlikely to be an easy fix.

A roku box (eg express4k or ultra) can use IR remote, e.g. oneforall which can also control the TV.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
ElfinTheSand
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, this seems to be the case. The one connect box sure makes things difficult, no wonder Samsung no longer makes them; good idea, bad result.

oh well, lesson learned. I’ll just resign myself to a 2-remote experience until it’s time for a new tv.

thank you.

0 Kudos
Mcrea

Jump to solution

Not sure why not much information is found on this, but from my experience and various Samsung televisions I’ve tested over the years Roku and Samsung don’t play nice when using the CEC handshake. I found that anytime I’ve connected a Roku device to a Samsung display I have to manually set up the remote to use power and volume controls. 

0 Kudos