Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julio_a_s
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku ultra remote blinking green and battery icon popping up on tv every few seconds.

I received my new Roku Voice Remote Pro July 19.  Devolution window ended August 17. Today September 2nd the control started blinking the green pairing light and the battery icon popping at the tv screen.  By examining the post I can tell this is a common problem that has no solution.  At least nothing useful is in the thread but basic reset and pairing.  So, How can I get a replacement unit?  This unit is not 90 days yet so it should be under warranty.  

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku ultra remote blinking green and battery icon popping up on tv every few seconds.

Hi @julio_a_s,

Welcome to the Roku Community, and thanks for reaching out about these remote woes.

We have passed along your case to our support team. We would recommend keeping an eye on your email address, as they will reach you from there.

Simply get back to us and let us know how things turned out. Many thanks!

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BEARsq
Reel Rookie

So any people are having this issue and the mods and experts here don't have an answer. I say throw it away take the lose, and buy  a Google TV or Apple TV, that's what I'll be doing. Last time I save money and buy the cheaper product 

0 Kudos
julio_a_s
Reel Rookie

Roku send me a new remote control.  It was not the pro. Was the one that you need to put batteries but still a vice one.  That one works without the blinking green light coming on all the time.  but the volume button stop working in two weeks.  I guess that Roku remotes are inherently bad.

After several month of troubleshooting I figure out that as soon as you place the pro remote to charge the remote enters in a mode where it looses connection with the TV and reconnect every few seconds. Or something like that.  By pairing the remote again using the button in the back you might be able to get it to work for a while.  Sometimes I wait until the green light comes on and press the pair button for 3 to 5 seconds and it will stop the green light from coming on again until I connect the remote to a charging cable.  This may take 1 to 10 times to get it to work.  One Idea I had is to eliminate the remote from the TV menu delete it.  I read that the remote will still works but will not be displayed. Maybe that will eliminate the annoying battery level indicator from coming ON and the unstable response.  I will may try that in the future.  The best thing that has works for me was letting the remotes die and use the Roku app in the phone as a remote.

I am sorry but unfortunately after three bad remotes I can say that the Roku remotes are not the best.

0 Kudos
Rokoo45

Agreed it takes a few times. Huge PITA but I messed with this for weeks and resorted back to my shawty Roku remote after each attempt. Finally I spent almost an hour looking at all of these posts and figured out something that worked for me. You have to get to the pairing section on the TV settings, get the TV in pairing mode. Then while the TV is looking for the remote keep trying to hold the button on the back of the remote for 5-7 seconds at a time until it finally gives you a green light and the TV recognizes it (it took me 3 times putting the tv back in pairing mode). It seems to work best if you can time it right when the remote stops working. If you are scrolling around and the remote stops responding, that’s the moment to hold the button before it does its own reconnect and gives you the battery indicator like it does over and over. I’ll probably look for a new remote because this sucks to do every time I charge this thing. But it works for now.

0 Kudos
DaveAugust
Reel Rookie

This is what I am experiencing with the ultra unit I just got from Amazon. Battery status appears on screen, then remote is non responsive. I have paired and repaired multiple times. Reset the unit multiple times. Hit the pairing button for 20 seconds multiple times to get it to reconnect. Ensured latest code revision. Amazon is sending a replacement unit tomorrow, where I will try with that remote. But this sounds like a manufacturing bug or flaw. While I like the ultra, this issue with the remote is unacceptable.

0 Kudos
acerbick

I have the same issue as everyone else here.  The Roku Ultra and remote are about four months old now and suddenly a charge only lasts a day or two, and the green light slowly pulses.  I took it off of charge at 100% two hours ago and it is at 95% without using it. 

0 Kudos
julio_a_s
Reel Rookie

I ended using the basic roku controller just to turn the tv on.  Use my smart phone to control everything in the roku.  This has been pretty much my setup since the last communication.  Roku controllers are inherently bad.  If it is not, volume buttons not working, is the battery icon and pairing light flashing all the time.  The company does not seem to care enough that a good product has such a bad remote. I expect no fixes at all.  But if not mistaking you are within the warranty period.  File a claim and maybe you will get a good unit.  Let us know later if they replace the unit and how long the new unit last.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @acerbick,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're sorry for the inconvenience about this remote woes and thanks for flagging us about this.

We'd suggest to try restarting your remote by following the guided steps below.

Restart remote

1. Plug the remote into power.
  2. Hold down the pairing button for 20 seconds (while holding down the remote light will start to flash. Keep holding and at the 20-second mark, the light will turn off. The remote will then restart)

Let us know if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DaveAugust
Reel Rookie

is has been mentioned several times. This was attempted by me before making this post. In reality, with all the troubleshooting and attempted fix suggestions found everywhere, there was just no fix.

Inevitably, I had to get a replacement remote from the retailer and that second remote operates fine. I hope it lasts, unlike some of the other reports I have read about the remotes for this.

0 Kudos