Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Redofyellow
Reel Rookie

Roku streaming stick overheating error

Danny,

I have the same problem. When I enter the serial number from my account page, I get a message that the serial number is wrong. When I check the back of my Roku stick, there is no serial number on it.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Redofyellow
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku streaming stick overheating error

The overheating message only comes up with Youtube TV.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku stick overheating

Hi @Redofyellow,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reaching out about this behavior on your Roku streaming stick. We'd love to help you out with this.

Could you please tell us more about this behavior you're running into? When did you start seeing the issue occur? How are you powering your device—to a wall outlet or directly to a USB port on your TV? We also suggest performing a system restart to help clear the cache on your device by navigating to Settings>System>Power>System restart. Then try again to see if you're still seeing the same issue.

In addition, you'll be able to locate the device serial number from Settings>System>About.

Let us know about this so that we can further look into it.

Warm regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I have the same problem.  It asked for serial number and there isn't one listed on back of my stick.  Did you get a solution?

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @bulldawg225,

A warm welcome from the Roku Community!

We are sorry to hear about the issue you reported and want to let you know that this is not the usual experience we expect from our products. 

• What Roku model device are you using?
  • How are you powering your Roku device?

What to do?

1. Carefully unplug the power cable from your Roku player and allow it to cool down.
  2. Find a cooler location for your Roku player; avoid placing the unit:
    • Inside a cabinet or other closed space;
    • On top of other electronic devices such as cable boxes, routers, or audio/video receivers,
    • In direct sunlight.
  3. Wait at least 10 minutes for your Roku player to cool down. Once cooled, plug the power cable back in and wait for the Roku player to power on. If you still see the above message or the Roku player shows a solid red light, immediately unplug the power cable.
  4. Repeat step 3 one more time. If the problem persists, we advise to stop using your Roku player at the moment.

If your Roku Streaming Stick is overheating, you can try installing a free HDMI extender to help move it away from the back of your TV.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos