Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
romanosyr
Reel Rookie

Roku remote works with old batteries but not new batteries

I am unable to change the batteries in my Roku voice remote without losing functionality. I can still control the TV (power on/off, Volume up/down) but none of the buttons would work for Roku could not select any apps or use any of the quick access buttons (netflix, disney etc) the old batteries were low but not completely drained (remote settings say 22% battery life) If I put the old batteries in it works fine, everything works! but the second I change batteries it stops working. Remote wont pair, I've tried unplugging everything, using the pair button, trying to add a new remote from the phone app. The only thing that works is using the old, almost dead batteries?!?  Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remote works with old batteries but not new batteries

Hi @romanosyr,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to assist you further with this Roku remote problem. Please try these troubleshooting steps below.

Put your streaming device in pairing mode.

1. Remove the power cable from your streaming device.
  2. Wait at least 5 seconds.
  3. Re-connect the power cable.
  4. Wait for your streaming device to power on and the Home screen to appear on your TV screen.
  5. Within 30 seconds of seeing the Home screen on your TV screen, put your voice remote into pairing mode.

Put your voice remote in pairing mode.

1. Remove the battery cover on the back of your voice remote.
  2. Remove both batteries from the battery compartment.
  3. Wait 5 seconds, and then reinsert the batteries.
  4. If your remote has a pairing button, press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash.
  5. If your remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold both the Home button and Back button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash.
  6. If the status light does not flash, try replacing the batteries.
  7. Wait for 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your streaming device.

Once your streaming device and remote are connected, the pairing dialog will appear on your TV screen.

Replace your remote batteries.

1. Remove the battery cover on the back of your remote.
  2. Remove both batteries from the battery compartment.
  3. Replace the batteries with a new matching pair and test again.

Let us know how it works, and we will continue to assist you further.

Kind regards,                                                                                                                                          John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
romanosyr
Reel Rookie

No success, its like the old batteries are programmed to the remote! 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @romanosyr,

Thank you for keeping us updated!

We understand you're having trouble with your Roku remote. We're happy to help you. Have you tried to put in a new set of batteries again to see if that will fix the issue?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,                                                                                                                                                  John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
romanosyr
Reel Rookie

tried multiple new batteries. Again... for whatever reason the remote only seems to work with the old batteries.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @romanosyr,

Thanks for the response!

We're sorry to hear about the experience with your Roku remote. That's not what we aim for. We suggest performing the power cycle by unplugging your TV for about 2 minutes. This includes unplugging the HDMI cable from the TV and the power supply.

We also suggest you follow the steps below to check if that resolves the issue:

1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll up or down and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power
  5. Select System Restart to restart the device
  • Note: If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.

If the issue persists, please refer to the support article here for additional troubleshooting steps: How to fix your Roku voice or simple remote that is not working | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
romanosyr
Reel Rookie

Problem fixed.  I replaced but the new batteries in and just left it alone for a few hours. Surprisingly it worked when I went back to it.  🤔