Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joan12

Roku remote made a popping noise and jolted in my hand

My husband was holding our Roku remote and it popped loud like a fire cracker.  It still works fine and the batteries weren’t affected.  What the heck is going on!! Now we are scared it’s going to cause a fire.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remote made a popping noise and jolted in my hand

Hi, @Joan12

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We're glad that you've brought this to our attention, and we'll be more than glad to assist. We've sent you a PM here in the Roku Community for us to discuss things further.

In the meantime, we recommend using the Roku mobile app as a remote to control your Roku streaming device. Kindly visit this link here: How to use the Roku mobile app as a remote

We hope to hear back from you.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

We just had the exact thing with one of our Roku remotes, loud popping and a jolt but the remote continues to work. The batteries look fine and have been installed a few months. Serial number X013006FV0M5

This is a Hisense Roku TV

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Eggsandjazz @Kororon,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about your Roku remote. We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue. Please tell us more details so that we can better understand the problem you are having. 

• What type of Roku remote are you using right now? (universal, simple, voice remote, or voice pro)
  • When and where did you purchase this Roku remote?

We are eager to hear from you and investigate this matter further. Thank you!

Kind regards,                                                                                                                                    Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jammers

This happened to me tonight! I was holding the remote, it made a popping sound and jolted. That’s a great way to describe it. It still worked, but when I opened the cover to look at the batteries, one of them was wet. I have pictures of the batteries. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jammers,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you notifying us about this issue, and we'd like to be of immediate assistance.

I sent you a PM for this.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

In addition, be ware of the harm with the chemical on the battery.

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
paulgxi

The remote from my Roku 4 made the same popping noises as you describe.  This morning I noticed the noises coming from my table top where the remote was located.  Finally narrowed down the noises as coming from the roku remote.  The Roku 4 remote hadn't worked well (intermittently) since last week, so I was using a remote from a roku express that I have.  The popping noises stopped when I took out the batteries (AA type).  I thought maybe this was a feature of the remote to let you know the batteries need replacing, after reading this I'm not so sure.    Anyway, just wanted to explain that I found those same noises and upon changing batteries, the noises stopped.  I will be checking to see if perhaps the Roku 4 remote isn't discharging the batteries too quickly (which I suspect, because I just changed them not long ago) whereas the Roku Express remote batteries seem to last longer (AAA type). 

0 Kudos