Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shangreaux79
Reel Rookie

Roku remote made a popping noise and jolted in my hand

Was holding my roku remote and it popped and jolted my hand. I'm not injured and it seems to be working still but now I'm scared lol. Anyone have any answers on if it's still safe to keep this thing?

12 REPLIES 12
mop_891
Roku Guru

Re: Roku remote made a popping noise and jolted in my hand

@Shangreaux79 

I am totally guessing here. I've been using remotes of all shapes and sizes since the 1980's. Never seen that. The ones I've used had 4 batteries max (6 volt total) most are 2 batteries (3 volts). The only thing I can think of is 1. Batteries put in wrong. That could cause some heat and ruptured batteries or 2. Very new and very old batteries used at the same time. Also can cause heat. In any case I'm guessing your remote is fried and won't work ever again.

0 Kudos
Shangreaux79
Reel Rookie

Crazy thing is...batteries are of the same brand and were brand new when I put them in. They aren't fried and remote still works.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku remote made a ing noise and jolted in my hand. It's working but I'm scared. What just ha...

Hello @Shangreaux79

Welcome to the Roku Community.

Please reply here with the serial number of the Roku device associated with the affected remote. It can be viewed by navigating to Settings > System > About. I'll be able to further assist you from there.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Shangreaux79
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku remote made a ing noise and jolted in my hand. It's working but I'm scared. What just ha...

X00400N2UAC5

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@Shangreaux79 

Thanks for the information. 

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
LynnT8500

My Roku remote had now done this twice in the course of a few days. I checked the battery compartment and all is fine. But I’m almost afraid to use it. Can it be safe?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @LynnT8500,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for reaching out regarding the Roku remote issue you are experiencing. We'd like to investigate and try to help but we need more details.

Here are a few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

• Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing?
  • What Roku model device and type of Roku remote are you using?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
teh_stark

This just happened to my remote too. It made a pop noise and was in my hand when it happened. Everything looked fine until I opened the back , took the batteries out, and realized that one of the batteries had battery liquid all over it. My remote/Roku was purchased like 3 weeks ago, and the batteries in it are the ones provided from Roku. Super weird

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @teh_stark,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having a problem with the Roku remote since it makes popping noises. We will be delighted to help you. Please be advised that we have passed along your information directly to our Support team. They're the ones who will reach out to you.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help you.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos