Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remote keeps turning TV on and off when I try to turn TV on.

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for keeping us posted about this issue!

We understand you're having a problem with your Roku remote since it keeps turning on your TV. We'll be happy to assist. Please try to restart your Roku by following the steps below:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System Restart.

If the problem still persists, please try to unplug the Roku device and TV for 3 to 5 minutes and plug them back in again.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TMacie
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Not to be rude but you guys REALLY need to actually read the threads before responding. We are all way past restarting the device. I have even replaced the device and have the same issue.

That said, another clue that may be easier to work with. I turn the tv and roku on with the power button (on the remote) then immediately cover the front of the remote with my hand (cover the IR sensor/emitter) the issue wont happen. If I cover it, then push the power button again, the issue wont happen.

If I push the power button but not cover the remote the issue will happen. 

My opinion is that the programming in the remote (as in code) is bad for certain TVs, maybe it doesnt wait long enough to be signaled that the tv/Roku have been turned on and send the IR signal to the tv again.

Travis

0 Kudos
JanAtheCPA

Jump to solution

Always the same old advice, right, fellow users? Restart re-pair. When multiple users report that this solves nothing.

I found what appears to be the solution for me, and will be very interested to hear if this makes sense or works for others.

I was also having this problem, which, as for everyone else, only started this spring or early summer, and it was getting worse. I finally decided to find a USB power adapter and an AC outlet for my Streaming Stick 4K+.  The Roku had appeared to work just fine for quite a while using the USB outlet on my TV - even though I was admittedly ignoring low power warnings when I plugged it in.  Then this new whacky on/off behavior started, and was so bad I had put batteries back in the TV remote just for turning the TV on.  I don't know what made me decide to finally try an AC adapter for the USB, but whaddayaknow:  it's been three days of use, and the Roku remote power button now consistently turns my (non-smart) Sony Bravia on, and it stays on.  And here's a bonus: the Roku also boots up to the home screen a whole lot faster - go figure.

HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@JanAtheCPA Never use a TV USB port to power a Roku.  Most do not have enough power and will result in problems.

Boaterpro
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Wow this totally worked and it does boot up way faster. Remote works great now. These Roku moderators must be bots or are total morons. Why didn’t they ever mention this as a possible solution. 

Nigel72
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Wow!  This did the trick!  Thank you Jan!  It's been months since I first reached out about this issue and had you to get a resolution.

The remote works perfectly now that I've connected the adapter instead of using the USB port!  Thank you again!

Hiegear
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have to do the same. Hit power then quickly under a pillow. 

0 Kudos
TMacie
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I hadn’t been back to confirm, but using a usb power adapter in a power outlet rather than the tv USB port 100% solves this issue and the Roku boots much faster.

0 Kudos