Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike234
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku remote keeps losing tv power & volume controls

what firmware version shows in the Roku remote setting (about) after the forced update?

I updated and it shows rtn.4190.  My other remotes not forced updated show the same.  I am wondering if these took the auto update and this one needed a "push".

0 Kudos
lohphat
Streaming Star

Mine said it was running rtn.4190 but even forcing it to push the same version again, solved the problem.  My guess is that there's a bug in the normal remote firmware update process where forcing it to happen does a clean update.

0 Kudos
jmccurdy60

Hello I am having the same issue. The serial number of my Voice Remote Pro is 3226001358

Model: RC-MC1

IC: 5959A-R1047

FCC ID: TC2-R1039

0 Kudos
lohphat
Streaming Star

You can verify that the symptom of the problem is that the InfraRed LED isn't firing when the remote isn't working by using your smartphone camera's ability to see IR. 

Just open your camera app and look at the front end of the remote while pushing the volume/mute/power buttons.  If you see a purple LED lit, then it means the remote is sending the IR codes.

It seems the cause of this problem is that the IR LED isn't being activated when the remote is misbehaving, not that the signals being sent are incorrect or not (e.g. wrong vendor code).

Keep in mind that IR is only used on the wireless remote for the power, volume up/down, and the mute buttons.  All other buttons are sent via radio, not via the IR LED.

PXL_20230316_221355539.jpg

0 Kudos
AERealm
Reel Rookie

I've been having the same issue. Try pressing both up and down volume at the same time, it works for me... Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
AERealm
Reel Rookie

Try pressing both up and down volume at the same time, it works for me... Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Kc1306

I’m aware of many others having the same issue with intermittent lose of volume and tv control.  Plugging in the unit seems to allow it to function.  Once unplugged it eliminates the volume and tv control.  Issue with multiple tv’s started recently 10 months after purchase.  Software updates have been done to the RC701.

Voice Remote Pro RC701 (2 units) with same problem on 2 Samsung TV’s (see tv model #’s).  

I only have the problem with the RC701, 2 other RC399 and 4 older model not experiencing the issue.  Since they performed ok until recently, software updates to RC701 need to be examined. 

Samsung Models 1-Q60 series 43”, 1-QD06-32”

Ken C

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @lohphat

Thanks for reaching out here in Community.

We would be more than happy to look into this issue for you, but will need more detailed information. Can you please provide us the following information:

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-TV brand and model
-when did you start seeing this issue occur
-were you previously able to control your TV volume and power
-what troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue
Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Wrennewest
Channel Surfer

I was on text with support for a couple hrs… doing the same thing over and over to troubleshoot. I asked repeatedly for them to send a new remote bc mine is only 6 mos old. I could not get a resolution. I may be switching to a fire stick or something else on this tv. Purely maddening and disappointing.

0 Kudos
lohphat
Streaming Star

Please STOP with the gaslighting.

This is a documented problem and there's a known solution.

I've been doing tech support since 1981 and the game your playing is insulting to paying customers.

1. We know there's a problem.

2. We have a solution. Forced OTA remote firmware upload.

3. And you reat us like we're children as if this is the first time you've heard of the issue.

STOP. IT.

Acknowledge the issue and solve the problem.