Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hawk77
Channel Surfer

Roku remote: hard to press the buttons

Jump to solution

I have one TCL TV and 4 Roku with Remotes. The older Roku Remotes were decent, but as of a few years back, the quality has gone down so much. I recently purchased Roku Ultra to substitute the built-in TCL TV Roku, which crashes all the time. The new Ultra's remote purchased only 2-months ago has issues with the up/down sound button... as I don't get any feedback from the remote. What happens is, suddenly, the volume jumps from mid to high or low to no sound.  My daughter has the Apple TV & the remote is of high quality, responsive, and well-designed. I will never again buy another Roku. I contacted Roku via chat and the agent kept saying to upgrade the software & I kept saying, the button was the issue.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remote: hard to press the buttons

Jump to solution

We appreciate your first post here in the Roku Community, @Canes95!

Thanks for letting us know about the remote issue you are currently experiencing. We'd be happy to assist you in reaching the proper support regarding this matter.

You can try to press and hold the Back and Home buttons simultaneously for about 30 seconds to reset it. After doing so, re-pair it again to see if this will make any difference.

If the issue still occurs, please be informed that TCL manufactures its player hardware, which includes the remote you are referring to, so in this case, we highly suggest reaching out to your TV manufacturer as they will be the ones who can further assist you with this. Perhaps a replacement for your remote would be an excellent resolution for this.

You can reach them here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

In the meantime, you can use the Roku mobile app as an alternative to your physical remote. It works well with all of Roku's streaming players and has a private listening feature.

Best regards,
Carly 

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
28 REPLIES 28
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Roku remote: hard to press the buttons

Jump to solution

Hi, @hawk77

Sending our welcome here in the Roku Community.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by the issue you are experiencing. We would be glad to assist you further. Kindly note that we have sent you a private message through the Roku Community to help you resolve the issue. Please check your inbox as we have contacted you from there.

We hope to hear back from you.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
Churlz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have to agree, the new remotes are garbage. I've replaced the remote on my new Roku streaming stick 2 times since I bought it about a year ago, the same issue both times, right directional button gets harder to press until eventually it stops working. I've got several Rokus, and all the older style remotes still work perfectly, so this is definitely a manufacturing issue with the newer models. To make matters worse, none of my working remotes will pair with the streaming stick.

I'll think long and hard before I buy any new products from Roku.

RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Churlz,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku community!

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We value your feedback, and we always aim to provide you with the best streaming experience and convenience when using our services. To assist you in resolving the issue, we have sent you a private message via the Roku Community. We have contacted you via your inbox, so please check that.

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you.

Kind regards,                                                                                                                                            Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
Terpol

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue. I replaced our Roku remote within the last 6 months for this issue, and our new one is now doing the same thing. Down and right have to be pressed really hard with a fingernail to get it to move. Manufacturing defect for sure. The remote is clean so that's not the issue.

RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Terpol,

We appreciate your time posting here in the Roku Community!

We understand you're also having problems with your Roku remote, which has buttons that are hard to press. We'll be glad to further assist you with this, and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We've sent you a private message through the Roku Community to help you fix the problem. Please check your inbox, as we have contacted you there.

We are eager to hear from you and investigate this matter further.

Sincerely,                                                                                                                                              Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
hawk77
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku remote: hard to press the buttons

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
rozen

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem; the '>' button is almost unusable and getting worse. I purchased the remote from Amazon in August and am wondering what the warranty covers. Alternativy can it be user fixed?

RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Makes the WORST Remote

Jump to solution

Hi @rozen,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced. We'll be happy to assist you with your Roku remote. We have contacted you via your inbox, so please check there.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Best regards,                                                                                                                                          Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
hawk77
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have done the same with 4 extra remotes during the past 2 years and I believe Amazon doesn't support after the initial 30 days, unless you bought their extended warranty. Therefore, you must go through Roku to get any support.