Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JLameloF
Reel Rookie

Roku remote control needed information

Hey, it's not a problem, it's just for a quick information.

I wondered if this model : RCAL7CA (Roku Voice Remote) is an omnidirectional pointing remote, that is, a remote that I can connect to my television. Or if it's an infrared remote where I needed to point my remote in front of my sensor. Thanks a lot !

This is the link of the said remote control : https://www.roku.com/en-ca/products/accessories/roku-voice-remote 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku remote control needed information

All voice remotes use RF (Wi-Fi direct) and have to be paired to the Roku device.  They use IR to control the TV's power and volume.  You don't say if you're wanting to pair to a Roku player or a Roku TV.  That may make a difference in how the TV controls work.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
JLameloF
Reel Rookie

Hey I need to connect it to a Roku Player

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

For the Roku commands, you won't have to point, the commands would go through walls with RC-al7 remote. But tv controls will have to be pointed at the tv for them to work, since it's controlling the non-Roku tv by IR commands. With true Roku tv, the volume commands would be by Wifi as well, so no pointing. 

If you were to go into the secret menu and switch to CEC from IR, then it would be wifi signal from the Rc-al7 to your Roku player, and then cec signal ove the HDMI cable to the non-Roku tv. So, no pointing needed. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos