Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ronm1
Reel Rookie

Roku remote cannot control my TV any help?

I have a TCL fire TV model 43Q570f. I tried to get the Roku to control the TV. None of the codes tried works. Right now pressing the volume up or down buttons on the Roku remote fire up live TV on the TV. It's very annoying. The batteries in the remote are new. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remote cannot control my TV any help?

Hi @ronm1,

From the Roku Community, a warm welcome!

We understand you're having a problem with your Roku remote since it was not working. We're happy to assist you further. Can you please provide the following information below?

• May we know what Roku device you are using right now? (Roku Express, Roku streaming stick, Roku Ultra, Roku streambar, Roku TV-Specify)
  • Could you elaborate more about the troubleshooting steps you have taken so far?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Regards,                                                                                                                                              John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

@ronm1 

Go into settings> remote & devices> remote> remote in USE> program tv> click change brands, enter AMAZON, you'll see amazon fire tv at the top, chose it, follow prompts. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ronm1
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion but my Roku does not give the option to change TV brands.

0 Kudos
ronm1
Reel Rookie

It's a Roku streaming stick. The TV is a TCL fire TV model 43Q570F. During the initial set up of the Roku it tried all the codes and none worked to control the TV. So I went into settings and manually tried and again none of the codes work. The only reason I have the Roku on the fire TV is because I have spectrum and their app does not work on fire products. So I need a functional Roku remote. The roku remote is also behaving strangely. If while you are on the HDMI for the roku (as in to watch spectrum TV) and accidently press the volume up or down button or mute button, it changes back over to the fire TV live TV channels. It's very disruptive. So a solution would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
ronm1
Reel Rookie

It's a Roku streaming stick. The TV is a TCL fire TV model 43Q570F. During the initial set up of the Roku it tried all the codes and none worked to control the TV. So I went into settings and manually tried and again none of the codes work. The only reason I have the Roku on the fire TV is because I have spectrum and their app does not work on fire products. So I need a functional Roku remote. The roku remote is also behaving strangely. If while you are on the HDMI for the roku (as in to watch spectrum TV) and accidently press the volume up or down button or mute button, it changes back over to the fire TV live TV channels. It's very disruptive. The Roku is actually for my 96 yr. old mom, so because of the key behavior, they quit watching Spectrum and using the Roku at all. So after the solution, I need to retrain her. So a solution would be really appreciated.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.