Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Roku remote battery pops up notification

I just sat down to use my Roku, I was playing a movie and enjoying it. I hadn't even touched my Roku remote in 30 whole minutes since I pressed the "OK" button to begin playing the video.

Then suddenly out of nowhere I start getting the upper right corner of my TV screen spammed with the ridiculous remote battery notification! My batteries are still over 50% in charge, I checked the battery level in the settings.

Why the he1l am I getting a pop up for my batteries when there is still more than 50% charge left?

Why the he1l is the notification popping up randomly 30 minutes into a video when I'm not even pressing any buttons on the remote?

Roku I HAVE HAD IT WITH YOU and your annoying remote pop ups over my videos!

I've been complaining about these broken notifications for YEARS! You never fix it! It doesn't work properly!

Your battery notifications are an annoyance! They are not necessary! I will change my batteries when the button presses no longer work!

Roku, why will you not add an option in the Roku firmware under the remote settings to COMPLETELY DISABLE these ridiculous remote battery notifications?

It should be pretty simple for the genius Roku programmers!

Example:

Remote Settings - Battery Notification

Enable

Disable

Done!

So why not just do it once and for all? Unless Roku simply enjoys ticking off their customers while we use our Rokus? So our TV screens continually keep getting spammed with broken battery level pop ups? Do you understand how annoying this is when trying to watch a film or TV show? Do you even care? Is the real question!

NOT ONCE have I ever gotten this pop up and I had to actually change the batteries! No matter when the pop up alerts me my batteries are always working perfectly fine and continue to do so for weeks if not months later! The notification is flawed and useless!

Roku's silence on this issue speaks volumes! I am officially DONE purchasing Roku devices. The customer service here is a complete JOKE!

Fix this! Don't ask me for my serial number, don't ask me what software version I am running or any other stupid inept questions like the moderators always do!

This is NOT a device specific problem it is a problem with the remote software because it does this on all my Roku remotes at some point.

Whoever designed these battery pop up notifications completely failed at doing it properly and they should be FIRED!! These pop ups don't work as they are supposed to, they are a complete annoyance to the viewing experience!

REMOVE THEM from the software or give us the ability to DISABLE THEM COMPLETELY ourselves!

NOW!!!

Stop ignoring the issue, show your customers you actually care about their Roku experience for once!

Labels (2)
32 REPLIES 32
FJB2020
Streaming Star

Exactly. I couldn’t agree more. I bought the Ultra 2 months ago and voice activation doesn’t work.OK I can live without that. Now I always have pop up messages in the right upper corner of my screen about being unable to pair my remote. I am also as you are sick of these messages on my tv screen. ROKU is absolutely no help. They are polite but all they do is change people and repeat the same questions over and over again. They want a photo and I have one but it won’t upload on here. ROKU blames my internet provider? 

Emissary35
Roku Guru

That is another good point. I have had issues before with my remote not pairing properly and voice function not working. I paired the remote successfully, but the next day when I go to use my Roku suddenly the voice won't work and it is popping up messages saying re-pair the remote. These remotes are badly designed and the software that runs them is trash too.

I don't understand how Roku is incapable of making remotes that work properly and why they have to continually spam our screens with their pop up annoyances. Every other device I've used has options to disable notifications if you don't want to see them, but not Roku for the remote pop ups! No, they seem to very much enjoy annoying their customers. Especially since the pop ups malfunction most of the time because they are popping up when the batteries are still 50% to 80% charged.

FJB2020
Streaming Star

Excellent response and hope more people continue to use this forum to display their displeasure with these expensive remote devices failures and ROKU’S lack of caring. 

Emissary35
Roku Guru

@Kororon  Exactly!

I just want a Roku remote which I only have to pair to my Roku device once and it works!

Where every button press always activate the correct function it is supposed to!

Where I NEVER EVER get any battery notification pop ups regardless of my battery level!

Because I can intuitively figure out when it's time to change my batteries once the button presses no longer work! Just like people have been doing for years before paired remotes ever came out!

Roku needs to go back to the drawing board and fix these things and start offering remotes that don't have hardware and software defects!

I really wish they would listen to our complaints and take them seriously because I've really enjoyed using the Roku players for many years, it's just the remotes that are a complete nuisance!

FJB2020
Streaming Star

Perfectly stated. Excellent comments. I am on my third ROKU and the screen pop ups are enough to make me want to return my ROKU. Great product but the voice control remote is a nightmare. ROKU refuses to help. They sent me a new remote and I told them that it wasn’t going to make a difference but they sent it anyway. Still have the same problem with zero response from ROKU. 

Rnurse

Uuuuugh I’ve been dealing with this all morning, and looking in this forum it’s been a problem for years and the only answer seems to be tinfoil 

FJB2020
Streaming Star

It’s like talking to yourself. ROKU has been zero help. They are polite so you can’t complain but it is all just nonsense. This remote doesn’t work and ROKU sells a faulty product 

Emissary35
Roku Guru

"They are polite so you can’t complain but it is all just nonsense. This remote doesn’t work and ROKU sells a faulty product."

That's exactly right! Most of the responses we get here are not helpful at all and they are mostly the same exact troubleshooting steps that don't work copied and pasted from a script again and again.

The moderators here are not charged with actually fixing any issues, it looks like they are just told to regurgitate that same useless non helpful script at us anytime someone has a complaint. The troubleshooting steps don't work and Roku knows it.

But by responding this way it makes it appear as if Roku cares, because they have technically responded, but the responses are completely hollow and useless.

Let's be honest here, the only way Roku would ever fix any of these issues with their terrible remotes would be if advertisers were complaining and threatening to pull out, because ad revenue is Roku's main priority, not customer satisfaction. Roku has already gotten our money from purchasing their products so they haven't much use for spending time fixing our issues.

Roku obviously takes no pride in their product they just care about the money. Because if they cared they wouldn't ignore all of these remote complaints that have been going on so long, they would have been addressed years ago!

This topic has been here for nearly a week and hasn't even gotten a moderator response at all, but even if it did it would be the same nonsense asking for serial numbers and software versions. As if that is the solution to every problem, Roku is a joke!

FJB2020
Streaming Star

Awesome Post.We must all come out and share our frustrations with these useless voice control remotes that not only don't work but they leave pop up messages on your tv while you are watching a movie.How wonderful is that ?ROKU you should refund us a percentage or at least have a recall on your product.It does not work.How many times will you ask a stupid question like "have we paired the remote?'"have we unplugged the ROKU and plugged it is again?"This product is not worth what I paid.