Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alexandrapinc10
Reel Rookie

Roku player won't pair with new remote

I had to get a new remote for my Roku player because the lag was so awful. I got the Roku Voice Remote (with the microphone to the left of the power button so it does not have a pairing/reset button) and have got to the remote setup page, new remote flashing green after holding down the home and arrow button for 5 seconds yet my Ruko player says "no remote found". However, I am able to use the new remote the same as the old one with the exception that I cannot use the voice controls and the Roku player keeps acting like input is being received on repeat from the new remote when trying to watch a show (the pause/play/captions/subtitles screen pops up on repeat). When I try to use the voice controls it says "Sorry. Unable to receive audio from your remote. If this continues, trying pairing your remote again" --- mind you the whole time the new remote won't stop flashing it's green light which seems to indicate it's still in pairing mode.

I have restarted my Roku multiple times. I have checked that the software version is OS 12.0.0 which I read OS 9.4 or higher is required so I am assuming I am fine on that. 

Please help I am so tired of wasting my time on this.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku player won't pair with new remote

Hi @Alexandrapinc10,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem with your Roku voice remote since the voice commands are not working. We're happy to help you. Please be advised that to test for a successful connection, press the voice button and look for a status indicator on your TV screen. If the issue is not resolved, replace the batteries with a new matching pair and try again.

You can also check out this support article on how to use voice to search and control your Roku streaming device.

If the problem still persists, please keep us posted.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Alexandrapinc10
Reel Rookie

Hi John, if you bothered to read my post at all you would have realized that is not my issue. Finalizing pairing is my issue. Thank you.

As and update, since finalizing pairing could not be completed, the remote is not working any longer with the Roku player. 

Additionally, taking the batteries out as well as restarting the Roku player has done nothing to help.

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @Alexandrapinc10

May we know what specific Roku device you are having issues with? Additionally, were you able to see a prompt on your TV screen that your Roku remote has paired to your Roku device?

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Alexandrapinc10
Reel Rookie

It is a Roku Express+ -3710X player. As for the new Roku voice remote I have no idea what model it is as the product and packaging is not clear with any of that.

No. The Roku player will continue endlessly searching for a remote but will not find the new remote and pair with it. So I do not get a prompt saying it has successfully paired on the player's end. I have taken the batteries out of the remote many times and restarted the roku player many times and neither have helped with pairing the new remote.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

The Express 3700 & Express+ 3710 will NEVER pair with ANY Wifi voice remote, reason is only accepts IR commands, period!!!

I suggest getting a universal remote that controls Roku by IR, only way universal do. The benefit is it will control your tv volume as well, unlike IR only express+ 3710 oem remote. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Alexandrapinc10
Reel Rookie

If you don't mind me asking what does IR stand for? And thank you for actually giving a helpful answer! Truly appreciate it

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

IR is Infra-Red, you need line of sight for it to control the Roku express+. Wifi is a kind of RF remote, which stands for Radio Frequency, the signal goes through walls. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos