Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rady
Reel Rookie

Roku express remote not working

I just purchased roku express I plugged it into the hdmi and the roku shows up on my tv screen but the remote will not work! Yes batteries are in and in correctly. I even tried different batteries and it won’t work! I’ve put the remote right next to the roku box. Still nothing. The box acts like it’s receiving from the remote because when I press buttons the purple lights goes off and on but no movement on the tv. So I can’t even set up my roku.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku express remote not working

@Rady 

Use the camera on your cell phone to look at the end of the remote. Press a button. Do you see a light?

If so, the IR remote is indeed working, and the Roku isn't getting the signal for some reason. Since it's line of sight, there must be nothing in-between the end of the remote and the front of the Roku Express. Distance isn't as important as line of sight.

If the remote is working, but the Roku won't respond to the remote, it's a bad Roku (IR sensor, or possibly some other mechanical issue).

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Rady
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku express remote not working

Thank you so much! It’s definitely a broken remote! There’s no light!

0 Kudos