Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ansbro
Reel Rookie

Roku connected to Wi-Fi Repeater and remote stopped working

After a couple of months with the Roku, the express remote stopped working, at the time it was connected to a wi-fi extender as I wasn't getting a good signal from my normal wi-fi.  I have downloaded the app to try and use as a remote but it's not finding my device, even though my mobile & TV are connected to the extender too.  I can't find the IP address for my device to connect manually as it's not on my normal Wi-Fi. Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku connected to Wi-Fi Repeater and remote stopped working

Assuming you have a simple remote and not a voice remote, is it transmitting anything when you press a button?  Point it at your phone's camera and you should see flashes of light on the phone's screen when you press buttons on the remote.

Do your mobile and TV show up on your normal Wi-Fi?  I would think that anything connected to the extender should show up, so does "Not connected" appear in the upper right corner of the Home Screen?  If so, you're never going to get the app to work.  If the correct time appears, I think we can be somewhat sure that it's connected to the network especially if you can restart the Express by unplugging the power for a few seconds and the correct time appears after it boots.  My next guess would be that there's some setting in the extender keeping connected devices from seeing each other.

It may be easier to just pick up a cheap universal remote that supports Roku devices and it might help to know the model number of the Express that's written on it and whether you have a voice remote or a simple remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Ansbro
Reel Rookie

There are lights when I press the buttons, it's a simple remote and the model is 3930x.  Have had no joy trying everything that's been suggested & it goes to the 'Let's get started' then to the bouncing Roku. Am I going to need a new remote?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Ansbro, that has nothing to do with the remote.  It sounds like a power supply problem.  Try using a USB power adapter/charger from a phone or tablet plugged into the wall.  You might want to try a different USB cable as well.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.