Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ripple59
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra volume goes up and down by itself

Thank you for that.

Chas1960
Reel Rookie

It appears that this isn't going to be fixed. I think I'm going to switch to another streaming device. 

RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Chas1960

Thank you for the post!

If the volume on your Roku Ultra is going up and down by itself, there are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

• Check for any physical obstructions: Make sure there is nothing obstructing the TV remote or the Roku Ultra's IR sensor. Move any objects or furniture that may be blocking the signal.
  • Replace the batteries in your remote: Low battery levels can cause your remote to malfunction. Try replacing the batteries in your remote and see if that helps.
  • Check your TV's volume settings: Some TVs have a feature that can automatically adjust the volume levels. Check your TV's settings to make sure that this feature is turned off.
  • Reset the Roku Ultra: Try performing a reset of your Roku Ultra by going to Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset. Note that this will erase all of your settings and preferences, so you will need to set up your Roku Ultra again after the reset.
  • Disable the volume leveling feature: Go to Settings > Audio > Volume mode > Leveling and turn it off. This feature can sometimes cause issues with the volume.
  • Check for software updates: Make sure that your Roku Ultra is running the latest software version by going to Settings > System > System update > Check now. If an update is available, install it and see if the issue is resolved.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Zamphex
Channel Surfer

@nightsmusic @ +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

This problem is the worst. It is a software issue. It never used to happen until a certain software update. The volume on the TV is not changing. The actual volume level of the stream is glitched and is either super high or super low and distorted. It happens after streaming content for some amount of time. Sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes an hour.

Changing HDMI cords didn't work. Power cycling didn't work. Changing HDMI audio setting (PCM vs Dolby) didn't work. Factory resetting my Roku ultra didn't work (it auto updates to the latest software after resetting).

PLEASE give "Kudos" to the original post if you have the same issue, it's the only way it'll get the eyes of Roku's audio software engineers to revert whatever awful software change they made a couple of months ago. It happens to me with Hulu and Xfinity Stream. Doesn't happen with YouTube or Plex. So my guess is it has something to do with audio when "streaming" something as opposed to direct play. One more thing to note is that the same audio level glitch happens when streaming the audio through the Roku app to headphones using iOS. So it has nothing to do with my TV / HDMI cord / other. The audio being glitched when playing through headphones on iOS Roku app (plus the fact it started happening after an update) tells me this is ONLY a software issue introduced by an update.

Information:

Model: 4670RW - Roku Ultra

Software Version: 11.5.0 build 4312-46

nightsmusic
Streaming Star

@Zamphex You're absolutely correct in that it started happening to me after an update. It took getting yet another new unit for it to go away. So far anyway, but I'm not holding my breath that it won't come back after another update since it updates automatically if you wait and don't update it yourself. But it's a software issue to be sure and I'm not the only one to complain about it, nor am I the only one to complain here. You should see Reddit and some of the other non-Roku communities. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi @nightsmusic @Zamphex 

Thanks for the posting in the Roku Community regarding the issue you are experiencing with your Ultra device volume changing by itself.

We would be more than happy to investigate this issue further, but will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • what external audio devices do you have connected to your home setup? what brand and model are these devices?
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
  • when did you start seeing this issue occur

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate the issue further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
nightsmusic
Streaming Star

@RokuDanny-R I'm not giving you anymore info. I'm the one who started this thread and have provided info twice. Maybe someone else will, but I'm done. Thanks.

EffDubs

Any update on this “investigation”? I have been having this issue with my TCL Roku TV for months and watching this thread for a possible fix/solution for weeks…. I don’t use the TV remote I use the Roku app on my IPhone so taking the batteries out is not a solution.

@RokuDanny-R @RokuLianna @RokuKarla 

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @EffDubs

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

Could you try to restart your Roku device and put the batteries back in the remote to see if there's any difference after? We would recommend doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

If not resolved, kindly provide us the details requested posted by @RokuDanny-R above.

Keep us posted. 

Regards,
Nimfa 

0 Kudos