Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nightsmusic
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Ultra volume goes up and down by itself

Oh, it's absolutely the Roku. I don't have the problem at all if I run the TV through the TV if you get what I mean. The minute I switch over to the Roku, and I prefer the picture on the Roku, the sound is up and down, up and down. I go back to the brand new Samsung and there's no issue. I had the same thing with the previous LG. I thought at the time it was the Roku Express. When we bought this Samsung TV, we bought the Roku Ultra thinking we'd start fresh. Same thing! But disconnect the Roku, the problem goes away.

I have two Roku TVs and do NOT have this same problem on either of those TVs. Go figure. I'm about at the breaking point though and ready to try a Fire Stick I'm so frustrated.

Tlatrell
Reel Rookie

Yes my remote has been doing this for months. I bought my Roku stick in September 2022. The problem started in about November. I thought it was the TV but I really think it's the remote. Sometimes you can't use the buttons. You have to change the channel and back to get the valume right. Can I talk to someone over the phone about this?

0 Kudos
nightsmusic
Streaming Star

I don't think so, at least not that I've found and after the second or third email exchange, they stop emailing. Doesn't matter if the problem is resolved or not, they just stop.

Tlatrell
Reel Rookie

oh wow, so I'm wondering if they will replace it? I only had it 4 months 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @Tlatrell

Thanks for your post. 

We'd like to know more about how we can help. For us to help you better, we will ask a set of questions to isolate the issue; Keep us posted on what you find out!

• If you remove the batteries from the Roku device remote, are you still seeing the same issue occur?
  • Have you tried to re-pair the remote and restart the Roku device?
  • Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

Please let us know and we'll continue assisting you from there!

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
nightsmusic
Streaming Star

I just replaced the batteries in the remote. It made no difference. It happens across all channels across all streaming services on the Roku. I've unplugged and restarted the Ultra, doesn't matter. I've reset the Ultra and reinstalled the streaming services. Doesn't matter. I followed, Up To A Point, all the previous instructions sent to me but I am not going to go through individual channel ID's since on YouTube TV alone, that would mean I would have to do that on 40+ channels which I am not doing. The minute I quit using the Ultra and go back to using the TV interface, the volume issue stops. This also happened with the previous Express that we had hooked up to the LG TV that we replace with this current Samsung. It's not just the Ultra that this is happening on. It's not just me, I'm seeing this all over the community and all over other sites on the internet. You have a problem that is not being addressed and it's not on the consumer's end.

I do not have this issue on the two Roku TVs I use in two of the bedrooms they're located in. I only have this problem with the plug in units. Frankly, after being a very long time Roku user, I'm at the point where, other than the TVs which work beautifully, I'm ready to switch to something else. Tired of the problem, tired of the crickets when I've reported back that the 'fixes' don't work, tired of having the sound go nuts. Enough.

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @nightsmusic

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

We would be more than happy to look into this issue for you but will need more detailed information. Can you please provide us with the following information:

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About
-When did you start seeing this issue occur
-Were you previously able to control your TV volume and power
what troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue
Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Regards,
Karla

nightsmusic
Streaming Star

I am copy/pasting the same information I posted In This Thread from January 2, 2023, which I also supplied in a support email, both of which resulted in crickets after supplying the information.

Model 4802X - Roku Ultra
Serial Number X01000M1W0Y
Software Ver 11.5.0 - Build 4312-C2
Device ID S0DA225M1W0Y

This is on a Samsung TV, but it was also happening on our LG prior to this. It happens on most of the streaming services we use but it most prominent on YouTubeTV and frankly, it's horrible. Since we go back and forth between YouTubeTV and Philo, where it also happens but to a lesser extent, and does NOT happen using the Samsung interface, it has to be the Roku. I'm watching the Comet channel on YouTubeTV right now and the volume level is going up and down, up and down. There are times when I'll tune to a channel and the volume sounds like it's coming from a tin can with a lid on it. Other times, I'll try to turn the volume up a notch and the volume increases to the top limit by itself.  We had similar problems with the previous Roku Express that we replaced with this Ultra and we'd hoped it was just a bad unit, but I'm thinking it must be the latest update because we didn't have any problems like this prior to the latest update coming through. This is really unacceptable frankly and after being Roku users for many years, we're considering a different streaming stick at this point. 

Our Roku TVs do not have this problem by the way.

All of the above information is from that January 2, 2023 post. This is the last time I will be providing this information. I'm tired of providing this information frankly and pretty tired of the lack of customer service on this issue. It's not just my issue, it's happening to many, many customers as posted by them not only in this community but across the web. Roku has been my go to since it's inception. It's quickly becoming a brick in my household. A very expensive one.

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @nightsmusic

Thanks for the reply.

I have passed your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they will be reaching out to you from there.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
TommyS
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the response. Here's the info:

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version

4660X -Roku Ultra

S/N:  YJ008L071377

Device ID:  CK38D8071377

OS Ver: 11.5.0 Build 4312

-When did you start seeing this issue occur, and troubleshooting steps:

We replaced our Samsung TV (UN55ES7150FXZA) with a new one (QN55Q60BDFXZA) and it happened shortly afterward. I blamed Samsung and finally returned the TV to the store and we bought another TV (QN55QN95BAFXZA). The problem is back. I have another Roku Box (4200X -Roku 3, 1GU47S103240) connected to a second older TV (UN55ES7150) that doesn't have the problem. I swapped Roku boxes -the problem moved to the older TV. When I couldn't get help from Roku (they blamed Comcast), I called Comcast and had them send out a tech to check the problem. It didn't happen when he was here, but he's checked all the wires and line signals, router, and moved my connection in their control center. My internet service tests fine at 200 MB on multiple online test sites. The problem remains. I believed the problem may be wi-fi related, so I ran ethernet wires to both Roku boxes. No change.

-Were you previously able to control your TV volume and power.

I can use the TV remote or Roku box to control the volume and power. I changed batteries in the Roku boxes -no change.

My conclusion:  Problem is in the Roku Ultra 4660X. Any help you can offer will be appreciated...