Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Piercybill

Roku Ultra remote powers Samsung TV on/off but won’t turn on Roku

Remote controls tv fine, power on and off with volume control but when the tv is off and power button is ised to turn on, only tv powers on. Have to unplug Roku to get it to turn on. Samsung TV. Have re-paired remote and checked for latest updates but nothing seems to work. 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra remote powers Samsung TV on/off but won’t turn on Roku

Your Roku isn't actually turning off. As long as it has power, it is "on". It does go into a low power state when the TV is powered off, and that might turn off the video output. Pressing the Home button on the Roku remote has always "woken up" any of my Roku players. It's possible your TV is turning off that HDMI port until it sees a signal from the connected device. Next time try hitting the Home or Back button on the Roku remote. 

Never press the OK button unless you can see the Roku screen. Some screensavers have a function that will install a channel they are promoting if you press OK or Play, so don't press those buttons unless you can see what you're selecting. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Piercybill

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately neither the back, home or ok button wake the Roku unit. I need to unplug it (from behind a panel mount tv) to get it to wake up. It also does not show up in the app to use that remote to wake either. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Thanks for the follow up. That does seem more likely there's an issue with the video driver chip in the Roku. The Ultra 4670 (released in Sep 2019) isn't that old of a player that I would expect a problem to suddenly appear (I have one myself that works fine, as well as older players), but with electronic devices you never know when an internal component will decide to call it a day. And when they do fail, there's no real value in attempted to repair them. Maybe remove the HDMI cable from the Roku and blow out the port, just in case some dust has gotten lodged in there and interfering with the connection.

If you decide it's time for a replacement, don't think you need another Ultra unless you absolutely need the USB port. The Express 4K+ ($39.99) is a noticeable improvement over the older versions of the Ultra, and far less expensive as well. If you need an Ethernet connection, the Express 4K+ supports a USB Ethernet adapter that cost less than $20 on Amazon. That still ends up much less than a new Ultra ($100)

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Piercybill

Ok sounds good. Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
makaiguy

If your Roku has a "Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings > After 20 minutes of no interaction" setting, try disabling it.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos