Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jarmar
Binge Watcher

Roku Ultra freezes when earbuds plugged in after update to 10.5.0

System automatically updated to 10.5.0 and now every time I insert my earbuds into the remote the device freezes.  Each time I have to power cycle the device to get it working again.  It worked great before the update.  The new features do nothing for me.  How can I roll back to previous version that worked.  

9 REPLIES 9
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra freezes when earbuds plugged in after update to 10.5.0

@jarmar

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? Are you using the remote that came with the Roku device or are you using the Roku mobile app? What kind of headphones are you using? When did you start noticing this issue occur?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jarmar
Binge Watcher

It has been 3 weeks since I posted this issue with earbuds freezing my Roku Ultra however I have not seen any response from Roku.  It seems that they are not interested in resolving problems with their recent update that they forced on users.

KidVigorous
Reel Rookie

I have the same problem.  Using the roku ultra and the remote that came with it.   Regular wired headphones- as soon as i plug the headphones in- the toku freezes and then reboots itself after about 15 seconds of being frozen.    System is "up to date".      Its literally the reason i bought the roku ultra, for the headphone jack on remote and its unsuable most of time.  If i power cycle the unit like 10 times itll eventually start working again for however long it wants... sometimes in an week, or a day or in 10 minutes- itll start freezing again and i start the process of rebooting it until it decides it wants to work again.  It sucks.   Im gonna trash these and buy another companies smart device.

ChickNPicker
Reel Rookie

Sounds exactly the same as my experience for the last few months!

jarmar
Binge Watcher

I found that by disabling the "Bandwidth Saver" in the Roku settings resolved the problem.

Sedgrick
Reel Rookie

I had the same problem. I had to pair my remote to my TV again to fix it:

Follow these steps:  Go to...
Settings, Remotes & Devices, Remotes, Set up a new device, OK, Continue

Now open the battery panel on your remote and hold down the round button just underneath where the batteries are. Hold it until the remote starts flashing green, this will pair your remote to your TV again. These steps fixed my problem of Roku freezing when headphones plugged into the remote.

Vertigo366

Thanks, this solved the issue. 

0 Kudos
KidVigorous
Reel Rookie

If the other solution posted doesnt work- i have also discovered another method that seems to fix it for extended periods of time.

If your roku is freezing when you plug headphones in remote---  set up roku app on your smartphone and Use it as remote- with headphones.  Once you do this, its almost like phone tells the roku to Act right cuz once you have it playin on phone- u can unplug them from phone- then plug em back in to regular remote and BAM!  They work fine now.   (Or can u jus continue to use phone as remote cuz the freezing has never happened with it for me)

It works right for weeks to months after doing this. 

Gr8Dane
Channel Surfer

Plugging headphones into my phone with Ruko Android app, I got sound. Plugged back into Roku remote, I got sound again. No crashing. No Freezing and rebooting.

0 Kudos