Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RonnieJoe
Reel Rookie

Roku Supplied wired ear buds

I just bought a Roku Ultra (1/15/2024) and set it up. The only issue I have found is when I use the Roku supplied wired ear buds (plugged into the remote) I only get mono sound, from the right ear only. I have paired my Airpods and when they are connected I get stereo sound. I have played around with all the applicable Roku settings, but to no avail. I did not have this issue at all with my Roku 3 or Premiere+. Anyone have a fix to this issue?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Supplied wired ear buds

@RonnieJoe 

Are you able to plug these ear buds into anything else (phone, laptop, TV, etc.) in order to see if both the earbuds (left and right) are working?

My Ultra 4660 came with earbuds a while back and worked as expected (sound from both earbuds).  I suspect a bad set rather than a setting.  Testing them on another device with a 3.5mm jack would help confirm/rule out.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
RonnieJoe
Reel Rookie

I have tried two different wired earbuds (both of which work perfectly in other devices) into the remote and both only provide sound from one earbud. The goofy thing is one wired earbud has sound coming only from the left ear, the other wired earbud has sound coming only from the left ear.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I assume you meant left and right.  That more likely means that the ear bus are mislabeled or you have them in the wrong ears.  🙂  You can probably find many left/right/stereo test videos on Youtube.  It sounds like the remote is faulty, although you didn't say whether you tried the Roku ear buds in another device.  The easiest thing might be to just return the whole kit and caboodle.  You can try support at https://support.roku.com/contactus (choose the option for an Account problem to try to reach a real person), but that may be more trouble than it's worth.  If you do decide to return everything, make sure you factory reset it and unlink it from your account at https://my.roku.com before you do.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RonnieJoe
Reel Rookie

The 2 sets of wired ear buds that I have are both labelled L and R and I have placed them in the correct corresponding ears. It just does not make sense to me that, when inserted into the remote, each set of wired ear buds transmits mono sound into a different ear, as opposed to both transmitting mono sound into the same ear or both providing stereo sound into both ears. As I mentioned in a prior post, I have tested both sets of wired ear buds in a different device and both provided stereo sound. I am wondering if the issue is with my Apple AirPods, which do provide stereo sound when they are wirelessly connected to the unit. I will try Roku support and if I have to send the unit back I will factory reset. Thanks for the suggestions.

0 Kudos