Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emveepee
Reel Rookie

Roku Streaming Stick+ Remote Works with Toshiba TV, but Won't Turn it ON

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Streaming Stick+ with the Enhanced Remote.  When I go through the process of setting up the remote, option 1 for the detected TV "works."  I get the message that my remote is now set up to control my TV.

The TV is a Toshiba 32C12OU1.

After the setup is complete, the Roku remote works to control volume up, volume down, mute, and power off.  But after the TV is off, the Roku remote will not turn it back on.

In the auto-detection process, the option that is selected is "1."  If I go through all the other suggested options, 2-9, none of those work to control the volume.  If I go through and say none of the options work, and I "keep trying" it asks what brand the TV is.  I enter Toshiba, and again Option 1 works for volume, mute and power off, but not on.  None of the other options offered work.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JuanMa

Re: Roku Streaming Stick+ Remote Works with Toshiba TV, but Won't Turn it ON

Jump to solution

I had the same problem. I just bought a Roku Ultra to use with an 8 year old Toshiba TV. After going through the Roku setup song and dance I found out that the Roku remote could control the TV's volume and it could also turn it off, but I was not able to turn the TV on when it was off unless I used the TV's remote. I was already resigned to using two remotes, the TV remote to turn the TV on and then the Roku remote to control channels, volume, and eventually turn it off, but then I stumbled on the solution to the problem. Turns out the issue is not with the Roku, but with the TV's default settings.

Use your TV remote and go to Menu->Settings->HDMI-CEC Settings. In the list of options change the value for TV Auto Power to On. The default value is Off and if you ever reset your TV's settings it will go back to Off and you will have to change it to On again.

I can't guarantee that this will work with every Toshiba TV and every Roku device, but it did work for my 2012 TV and my 2020 Roku Ultra. I hope that it works for you. It's worth a try.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Justink

Jump to solution

We are having the same issue with the exact same Toshiba/streaming stick remote.  Were you able to find a solution?  Nothing we tried has worked.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

It sounds like it isn't programmed for a true Toshiba model, but brand like changhong or apex that uses a partial toshiba code set, re-program the remote for the tv skipping the first one that mutes the sound by click NO, try the next postive result and see if it works out. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Emveepee
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for your idea.  I didn't go back and look at my original post, but I think I said I tried every single Toshiba code.  If I didn't say that before... that's what I did.  No luck.

0 Kudos
Emveepee
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Nope.  We are stuck having two remotes out.  At least you only need the second remote to turn it on.  Once you're going, just the Roku remote will turn it off.

0 Kudos
Doom

Jump to solution

same issue this is so annoying, I'm considering returning the roku and moving to a different platform  

0 Kudos
JuanMa

Jump to solution

I had the same problem. I just bought a Roku Ultra to use with an 8 year old Toshiba TV. After going through the Roku setup song and dance I found out that the Roku remote could control the TV's volume and it could also turn it off, but I was not able to turn the TV on when it was off unless I used the TV's remote. I was already resigned to using two remotes, the TV remote to turn the TV on and then the Roku remote to control channels, volume, and eventually turn it off, but then I stumbled on the solution to the problem. Turns out the issue is not with the Roku, but with the TV's default settings.

Use your TV remote and go to Menu->Settings->HDMI-CEC Settings. In the list of options change the value for TV Auto Power to On. The default value is Off and if you ever reset your TV's settings it will go back to Off and you will have to change it to On again.

I can't guarantee that this will work with every Toshiba TV and every Roku device, but it did work for my 2012 TV and my 2020 Roku Ultra. I hope that it works for you. It's worth a try.

Mjane

Jump to solution

Just tried the suggestion about going into the menu of the Toshiba remote and turning the TV auto power on.  It didn't work for me on my 2012 55" TV so I have given up hope.  So two remotes will sit out until Roku catches up with that brand of TV.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Try LG tv codes for your 55" Toshiba. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Emveepee
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for this.  I'm not 100% sure how or why, but it seems to be working for me too.  When the TV is off, hitting Menu or Up on the Roku Remote now seems to activate the TV.  So... good enough for me!