Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JKris
Reel Rookie

Roku Remote stopped Controlling Power and Volume

I have a Vizio model VO32L using Roku Streaming Stick 4K with voice activated remote. I’ve been using it for about two months with no problems controlling tv volume and power. Today it just stopped controlling TV volume and power. I have done the following things with no luck

Reset system

Check for updates

New Batteries

Re Paired remote

Tried multiple television brand codes (Sony, LG, Westing House, Hitachi)

Nothing can get that stupid music to stop when I’m setting up the remote  I’m super frustrated  I actually had this same problem with an older roku from 2018 and bought this new one hoping it would fix the issue  Well it worked for about two months  

11 REPLIES 11
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Remote stopped Controlling Power and Volume

@JKris-

@Tivoburkeeis our most knowledgeable forum user for remote issues.  He may be able to suggest some other TV brands to try.

Some people in your situation have reported success by temporarily connecting to a different wifi network, such as a phone's hotspot, for reprogramming the television controls.  Once done you can switch back to your normal network.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
JKris
Reel Rookie

It worked fine the next morning. 

Now, two weeks later it’s happening again. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @JKris

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

Please reply here with the serial number of your Roku device associated with the affected remote. It can be found at the back of the stick itself. We'll be able to further assist you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
JKris
Reel Rookie

SN: SO8Y41C7HLT2

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@JKris

Thanks for the reply.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
D-Gonzo
Channel Surfer

I have two of the rechargeable newer remote controls and both are having the same problem; volume and power buttons fail on two different televisions.  The only fix is to disconnect the roku from the television. This is is a continual effort; several times a day. The remotes are less than a year old.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@D-Gonzo

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more detailed information about the issue you are experiencing? What brand TV are you connecting the Roku device? Have you already tried pairing the remotes to the TV?

For more detailed information about setup the remote for TV control, visit our Support page here: Set up TV controls

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
D-Gonzo
Channel Surfer

LG and Samsung television; the remotes worked with no issue for months. Also, one of the remotes was recently replaced due to the volume button not working correctly. There is no issue with pairing or setting up, as I am a former computer technician and understand electronics.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@D-Gonzo

Thanks for the follow up.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • brand and model TV you are using
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
  • when did you start seeing this issue occur

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos