Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrs74656

Roku Remote does not function properly.

I started having the same problem a few days ago. If I start up Paramount+, Hulu, or PBS and press the down arrow button, it scrolls anywhere from 2 to 5 items at a time - never just the next one. I've unplugged the Ruko for over a minute and plugged it back in, to no avail. I don't see how to open the remote to remove the batteries - it's rechargeable via a USB connection to the Roku.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: My Roku keep scrolling it will not allow me to select any channel

Hi @jrs74656,

A warm welcome to the Roku community, and thanks for bringing this to our attention!

We understand that you're having issues with the remote not functioning correctly, and we would love to have a closer look into the issue to provide the best resolution. Have you tried doing a system restart to see if the Roku remote functions properly again? If not, we highly recommend doing so. To do this, go to Settings > System > System Restart. After performing this step, you can check to see if you notice any difference.

Please let us know how it works.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jrs74656

Is a system restart different from unplugging the device and plugging it back in after a few minutes?

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jrs74656,

Thanks for the update!

System restarts and power cycles are ways to reboot Roku streaming players. However, a system restart allows a proper and optimal boot that clears up the cache of your Roku streaming player for more effective results when troubleshooting certain issues.

I hope this clarifies your concern.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Abbywibbedis
Reel Rookie

This happened to us also. Changed the batteries to no avail. Bought a new Roku streaming stick/remote. No dice. Then 3 of the remotes stopped working! I unplugged and replugged devices and nothing helped. I called my router provider and we went into the router settings. She had me set it to 2.4 Gz. That solved everything. When the country updated to 5G it screwed up the connections. Once you re-establish connections with the router on 2.4 Gz, you will have to change the wi-fi connection in the Roku setting to connect to 2.4 Gz. All three of my Roku streaming devices are now working. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@RokuTakashi wrote: If not, we highly recommend doing so. To do this, go to Settings > System > System Restart.

Kash -

I've seen you post this several times before but that is not a universal menu path for all Rokus.   As a moderator you should know:

Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the "System restart" option under "Settings > System > Power" or if there is no Power option, under "Settings > System".

Roku TVs have always had the Settings > System > Power menu option.   In a fairly recent Roku OS update the Power menu option was added to more recent Roku streamers with certain ARM processors.  Last I knew these were Streaming Stick 4K/4K+ (3820/3821), Express 4K/4K+ (3940/3941), Roku 4 (4400), Ultra/Ultra LT (4800/4801), and I believe Smart Soundbar (9100).  You should have internal sources that can confirm and update this list.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
GuidoVeneto
Reel Rookie

I just received my Roku Express 4K+ this afternoon and my remote arrow down doesnt function.  I tried another Roku remote from another room and it worked fine.  We attempted to system restart and no chang...down button doesnt function.  How do I get a functioning remote?

thanks!

0 Kudos

Thank you.  I had same problem and system restart did the trick.

0 Kudos
GuidoVeneto
Reel Rookie

Thanks!  I've done four restarts over the past week and no change.  That said, another ROKU remote from another room in the house does work so it seems to be the remote. How to get a new remote is the search for the "holy grail".  

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @GuidoVeneto,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We want to assure you that we have taken note of your concern, and we'll pass this information on to our Support team. They will reach out to you and assist you further regarding this. Keep an eye on your email since they will be contacting you from thereon.

Your patience and understanding are greatly valued.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos