Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marthastewart20
Reel Rookie

Roku Remote Controlling wrong devices

Jump to solution

First time posting.

I rearranged the TV's in my game room a few months ago. I have 2 TV's, with 2 Roku's sitting about 10 feet apart from each other. My problem is, my Roku remote controls both Roku devices on both TVs even though its only paired to one device. My other Roku Remote controls both Rokus as well, even though its only paired to one device. 

I have factory reset both devices and the issue immediately returns in seconds after setting them up again. I even removed the power cable from one tv and roku device just to ensure that while I paired the remotes again they would not connect to the wrong device. It made no difference. 

The issue is intermittent. For example, I might get away with pressing the button on the Roku remote for 10 presses, then its suddenly starts controlling the other Roku player. Also, when I press left or right for example, it jumps 3 spaces over (like I pressed the button 3 times). It's the same thing with the pause button, etc. 

Anyone have this problem? When using the Roku App on my smartphone the issue does not exist. I can swap between both devices without button inputs controlling each other. Yet for some reason, Roku Remotes randomly start controlling each other devices. (To be clear, they are not controlling the TVs. They are unable to control the power or volume of the incorrect TVs). The issue is Roku remotes are controlling other Roku players that they never paired to. Please help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marthastewart20
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Remote Controlling wrong devices

Jump to solution

Thanks. I spoke with support 2 hours ago via chat. The solution was to unplug both Roku devices and remove the batteries out of the remotes. Then power on one Roku, wait until it gets to the main menu. Insert batteries into remote. On remote press back and home simultaneously for 5 seconds. You will see pairing on the screen and the remote has been paired.

Rinse and repeat for the second remote and device. Issue went away a few hours ago and has not come back (yet). Hopefully, that works long term.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I don't have a good answer; more of a guess.  These remotes with TV controls will fall back to IR mode when they lose the connection to the Roku device.  You can see it in action by disconnecting the power to one of the devices and then at some point (I couldn't say exactly how long it takes; it could be immediately or take a minute) the remote for the disconnected device will appear to control the other device as if it's paired to that device (it isn't).  Point the remote at your phone's camera and you'll see a flash of light on the phone screen when you press a button on the remote.

That's my guess as to what's happening, but the only solution I could suggest (if that's it) is to cover the front of the Roku device, hide it behind the TV, or put it in a box.  If your remotes are losing their connections I'd expect it to be accompanied by higher than normal battery usage or a notification (battery level or something about voice control) to keep popping up, so if that's the case maybe fixing that issue will fix the other issue.  Of course, that's easier said than done.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
marthastewart20
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. My remotes do have IR. Only one of them uses it to control a TVs power. The Roku remotes control the Roku devices via Bluetooth from my understanding. So even if I hid the devices, as long as the remote is within 35 feet range of the Roku device it would still control it. 

I appreciate the thought exercise but I am at a point where I will probably look at purchasing another product just so they cannot overlap communication. Unless there is a way for support to do a ticket where they pull logs and troubleshoot my situation?

0 Kudos
techhead51
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

What may work for you is settling up on roku remote to use ir and the other to use cec, settings, remotes and devices,  remotes, set up remote for tv control,  two options,  ir or cec, select one, on the other tv, do the same but use the other method. 

If you have two voice remotes,  turn one off, use the voice commands instead of the remote buttons, you can still use voice commands by using the mic button. 

I have 4 roku ultra  a 4640x,  4800x and two 4802x,  the 4802x are next to each other, sometimes pressing a button on one will trigger the other remote, but only a few functions will work.

When using the app on a phone or tablet,  only one roku device can be used,  that is why there is no overlapping with devices.

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If you have two Rokus connected to two TVs in the same room things like this can happen.

I have the same issue, I solved it by only plugging in the Roku I'm currently using and I unplug the Roku connected to the other TV I am not using.

The Roku remote will only activate the Roku that has power, not the other. Problem solved.

0 Kudos
marthastewart20
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks. I spoke with support 2 hours ago via chat. The solution was to unplug both Roku devices and remove the batteries out of the remotes. Then power on one Roku, wait until it gets to the main menu. Insert batteries into remote. On remote press back and home simultaneously for 5 seconds. You will see pairing on the screen and the remote has been paired.

Rinse and repeat for the second remote and device. Issue went away a few hours ago and has not come back (yet). Hopefully, that works long term.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@marthastewart20, I'm glad you got it worked out, but you missed the whole point of the "thought exercise".  Roku voice remotes use Wi-Fi direct, not Bluetooth, along with IR.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos