Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JustKJ

Roku Express Remote missing TV Controls?

So, I think I know the answer to my one question.  I am correct in saying:  The Remote that comes with the Roku Express CANNOT control the TV Power and volume.  I believe i am right at least for the simple reason that there is no obvious power or volume buttons (unless the designer wanted to disguise them).

Seems odd that a remote for a device that is supposed to replace a Cable box would not have a remote that can be programed to power on/off and adjust volume.  In todays day and age that is simple design and cost is almost non-existant.  It could be I am expecting too much from Roku.  I am new it as a brand.

Second question, The TV is an Insignia model (Best Buy's house brand) and again I have a Roku Express.  Does Roku or a third party sell a remote that will control both?

In case you are wondering, the tv remote is broken and we have been using the cable remote for years. Yes we are too lazy to get out of bed and walk 6 feet to turn off the power manually.Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express Remote missing TV Controls?

The Roku Express is the bottom tier remote in the Roku family and lacks some of the features of higher remotes. It uses a simple line-of-sight infrared (IR) remote.
Your best bet is probably to buy an inexpensive basic IR universal remote - just make sure it says it supports both Roku and your television brand. You can find them about anywhere, Walmart, Target, drug stores, dollar stores, etc.
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Only wifi roku remotes have tv controls, you can purchase the wifi voice remote from walmart or best buy, cheaper at walmart. All you can get the One-For-All urc7935 streamer remote at walmart for $25, they're about $10 on ebay for open box versions. P1010420 (800x600).jpg

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Davy49
Binge Watcher

Hi,

I found this simple remote discussion of great interest to me due to the fact that I just purchased 2 - Model # 3930R Roku Express Streaming Players. I did notice that while I was setting up the unit I remember seeing a setting that was labeled 'turn off tv', which I found rather interesting. So my question is can this roku express player that comes with the simple remote actually turn off the tv that I have it connected to ? 

Thanks,

David W. 

0 Kudos
Z06
Roku Guru

@Davy49  Is there a power button on your remote? If so then yes. If it does not have a power button then no. T hi is article is also 2 years old. 

0 Kudos
Davy49
Binge Watcher

Hi,

As I already have a actual Roku TV that the supplied remote does in fact has a 'dedicated' power button on the top of the remote. I was just curious as to why the 'power off tv' would be showing up in the settings area? Is it possible that it was just a mistake on the manufacturers part? I'm thinking that I need to contact roku customer service directly just to see what kind of response I receive from them.

David

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Davy49 wrote:

Hi,

As I already have a actual Roku TV that the supplied remote does in fact has a 'dedicated' power button on the top of the remote. I was just curious as to why the 'power off tv' would be showing up in the settings area?

That was something that Roku developers added as a menu option. Sometimes they add stuff without really thinking things through. Why make a menu option to power off the TV, since you need to use the remote to reach that menu option and it has a dedicated power button on it? 

Now, for a Roku player, that menu option might have a use. Even with the lowly Express player, which doesn't come with a remote with TV control buttons, it can use CEC to power the TV off. So you wouldn't need to put the Roku remote down and pick up the TV remote to power it off. Roku probably decided to leave the menu option on all device screens, either for simplicity or they were lazy. If I remember correctly, you can remove that button in the settings menu. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Z06
Roku Guru

@Davy49  You asked about the 2 Roku Expresses you just bought. You never mentioned about a Roku TV.  So you are questioning the “power off channel” you see on your Home Screen. That’s a software thing across the board. But in order for it to work your remote would need to be programmed to your TV. 

0 Kudos
Davy49
Binge Watcher

Hi,

I just mentioned our Roku TV for reference only, didn't mean to try & confuse anyone.

0 Kudos
Z06
Roku Guru

@Davy49  Ok so what is it exactly you would like to know?

0 Kudos