Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redonkawa

Replacement remote for Roku stick?

Why do most (if not all) replacement remotes say, they do not support Roku stick? My remote is dead, anybody have a recommendation for a replacement?

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Replacement remote for Roku stick?

Hi @redonkawa,

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for the inquiry.

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. What Roku model device are you using? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue? In addition, have you tried running the steps on this link to get your remote back up and running?

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@redonkawa, only genuine Roku Voice Remotes support sticks and depending on the model number of your stick you may not even be able to get a remote anymore.  No third party or universal remote will work with a stick.  Sticks don't have an IR receiver.  If your stick is still connected to your Wi-Fi you can use the Roku app on your phone/tablet as a remote.  If your Roku is still under warranty work with Mary and she may be able to help you or give us more information like the model number of your stick and what's happening with the remote like does the pairing light flash when you press and hold the pairing button in the battery compartment.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@redonkawa wrote:

Why do most (if not all) replacement remotes say, they do not support Roku stick?

Most replacement remotes control by infrarared light signals which require a line of sight between the remote and the Roku.  Roku Streaming Stick products are typically used behind the television where infrared signals can't reach.  Streaming Sticks do not have infrared sensors and are controlled by remotes that connect by direct wifi connection.

As mentioned above, either of the two Voice Remotes available from Roku are point-anywhere wifi remotes that can be used with Streaming Sticks.  I know of no third party companies that have created replacement remotes that can connect to Rokus via wifi.

One thing about wifi remotes is they must be paired with the device they are intended to control.  It's possible your non-functioning remote has only become unpaired.  Have you tried to re-pair it to your Roku Streaming Stick? 

Video from Roku re how to pair point-anywhere remote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK3T6eXqPU8.
You may find your Roku is only receptive to the pairing request from the remote for a short period of time after it starts up. Try pulling the power to the Roku for a few seconds then plugging it back in and waiting for it to start up before reinserting the batteries in the remote and pressing the pairing button.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
reddel

Where can you buy a new one? Ours is lost.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @reddel,

Thanks for the inquiry, and welcome to the Roku Community!

Please be advised that you can check out our website here or go to a third-party retail store like Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, etc.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos