Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lindsey91
Reel Rookie

Remotes won't turn TV on/off or adjust volume

Jump to solution

So I have 3 rokus in my house and we can't figure out how to get them to turn the TV on and off and change the volume. I've done every step in the how to videos and what not, it's when we get to search for your TV brands, nothing will pop up for brands. Not even when we search Samsung. One of the videos I watched, lots of models popped up when he typed. When we type, nothing changes. Totally at a loss on what to do.

Side note, all 3 of our roku's are different kinds and we have 3 different brands of TVs as well.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remotes won't turn TV on/off or adjust volume

Jump to solution

A lot of people seem to have this problem.  I haven't seen a solution, but I just went through it myself and it was a network problem.  If my Roku is connected to my network that blocks all kinds of IP addresses it won't find any brands.  If I connect it to my open network then it works.  If you're using any kind of blocker on your network try disabling it. Try restarting all of your network equipment - modem/gateway/router.

If it still doesn't work, try using your phone's hotspot feature if possible and connect to that.  Keep in mind that some Roku devices only support 2.4GHz, so make sure the hotspot is set to use a 2.4GHz channel from 1 to 11.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

A lot of people seem to have this problem.  I haven't seen a solution, but I just went through it myself and it was a network problem.  If my Roku is connected to my network that blocks all kinds of IP addresses it won't find any brands.  If I connect it to my open network then it works.  If you're using any kind of blocker on your network try disabling it. Try restarting all of your network equipment - modem/gateway/router.

If it still doesn't work, try using your phone's hotspot feature if possible and connect to that.  Keep in mind that some Roku devices only support 2.4GHz, so make sure the hotspot is set to use a 2.4GHz channel from 1 to 11.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Lindsey91
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The Hotspot worked! Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
HECxyz

Jump to solution

The workaround proposed is ingenious but not practical.  ROKU  needs to fix this problem No one should be forced to use a phone hot spot or open network. Generally those should not be sustained.  ROKU has  had complaints about this for over four months. The tech support staff have confirmed this and themselves waiting for the update so that they do not have face the complaints.  Unless fixed, perhaps ROKU should withdraw the promotion of the value of the volume features for the remote and also offer a rebate to customers that face this issue.