Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remotes are cheap and break regularly

Am I the only one who's tired of these cheap remotes always going bad with no way to replace them reasonably? I've had several roku devices and the remotes go out within a year and the only "replacement" options are to download an app and use your phone? Like really? You'd think this big company could make decent minor things like accessories but they never fail to disappoint. And there's no one to talk to/report to. Do yourself a favor and buy a decent smart TV or firestick that way outclasses this cheap **bleep**. 

20 REPLIES 20
dragonboots2005
Roku Guru

Re: Remotes are cheap and break regularly

I guess I've been lucky.  I have 2 Roku 3's that are 8 years old & with the remote they came with.  Last month I bought new Rokus just to update everything and the remotes do seem cheaper & more lightweight than my old ones but they seem ok so far after about a month and a half. lol 

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@Thiscompanynogo I have six Roku devices and have never replaced a remote.  Some are five years old

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I’ve never had a Roku remote go bad.  In general, you should have plenty of replacement options besides your phone.  Roku themselves sell 3 replacement remotes, and third-party vendors sell many more.  (The third-party remotes generally don’t work with Stick models, but work with the other Rokus.)

Sure, they are obviously cheap.  When you can buy a whole Roku package for $40 retail, you know the manufacturing cost of each component in the package can’t be very much!  But they’ve worked for me, so far.

Banned but back. Because why not?
Emavo

I suppose I've been fortunate. I've been using two Roku 3 devices that are now 8 years old, along with the original remotes they came with. Just last month, I decided to purchase a new Rokus to modernize my setup, and I did notice that the new remotes feel a bit cheaper and lighter compared to my trusty old ones. However, I can say that, so far, they've been working fine for me over the past month and a half. Technology sure has come a long way! 😄

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

A warm welcome here at the Roku Community, @Emavo!

We're glad to hear your feedback and grateful for your kind words. We always aim for your satisfaction and convenience, which is why we always update and upgrade our devices and systems. 

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need help in any way. We'd be glad to do so anytime. 

Happy Streaming!

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

@ThiscompanynogoNo offense, but if you look at most every comment you'll notice that Roku remotes are built well and reliable. I began with a first generation Roku player and after upgrading numerous times, never had a problem with the remote. Any device that's abused will suffer regardless of the manufacturer. Hope you find a solution too.

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Roku Guru

My main gripe is truly my own.  I keep losing or misplacing my Roku remotes!  My own solution?  Universal ️ Remotes.

I own and like Philips 3 devices ones.  They are cheap, durable, and easy to program and use.  I use one exclusively. 

The next Roku Ultra I purchase will have me put away the remote and only use it for programming the Ultra with ease.  The Philips one?  Always out and in use for both television and the Ultra.

0 Kudos
PeggyV

The old Rokus did not have this problem, but the last 3 Rokus I've purchased all 3 remotes got buggy real quick. The fast forward button goes out and will only skip ahead 10 seconds per button press. Plus they seem to kill batteries in record time! 

Apparently,  Roku is cutting corners with their remotes. Roku was great but time to move on to another streaming device.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I join the chorus of users that have never had a remote failure. I can still pull my old 2 XS out of the drawer and use it, and that player is over 10 years old. Of course, nothing really works on it anymore, but the player itself still fires up. 

And there are options other than using an app on your phone. In fact, the app has limited use if you're not on a private network or your Roku isn't connected to a network. But every Roku player and TV, with the exception of the Stick models (the ones that connect directly to a TV without a cable), support Infrared control, and you can purchase generic IR remotes for very low cost almost anywhere that sells electronic devices. Just make sure the generic remote says it supports Roku players, and away you go. If you have a Roku Stick player, then your only option is to buy a new Roku WiFi Direct remote. Just remember that there are some older Roku Stick players that won't work with the remotes sold today. Those players I'm afraid are no longer supported and you would need to replace them. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos