Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote won’t work with Vizio tv

This remote stopped controlling my Vizio tv volume, power and Mute . getting close to switching my stream providers.. this is getting ridiculous hopfully someone sees this I’ve tried entering different tv codes nothing seems to work. I’ve tried LG codes and mostly all the others and nothing seems to work again it’s a Vizio tv. I wonder is Amazon stick or google chrome is having this problem I’m hearing it’s happened to a lot of people but when you try to fix it I have to type this 140 character long rant that I hate to do but for some reason I can never hit the 140 and I keep pissing myself off even more..

5 REPLIES 5
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote won’t work with Vizio tv

@faulknasty_75 wrote:

This remote stopped controlling my Vizio tv volume, power and Mute . getting close to switching my stream providers.. this is getting ridiculous hopfully someone sees this I’ve tried entering different tv codes nothing seems to work. I’ve tried LG codes and mostly all the others and nothing seems to work again it’s a Vizio tv. I wonder is Amazon stick or google chrome is having this problem I’m hearing it’s happened to a lot of people but when you try to fix it I have to type this 140 character long rant that I hate to do but for some reason I can never hit the 140 and I keep pissing myself off even more..

Upgrade the roku software if you can, restart it the roku, with fresh batteries keep trying to program the tv in:

settings> remote & devices> remote> remote in use> program tv> follow prompts

Just keep trying. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
DBDukes

@faulknasty_75 

Did you ever configure your Remote for Vizio? Or did it just work? I suspect the latter.

If so, that means it has been controlling via CEC. As an owner of multiple Vizio TVs, I consider their implementation of CEC to be problematic. Sometimes, it doesn't work right. And that's not with Roku devices. I have Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, and Chromecast. Vizio CEC sometimes goes wonky with them all, and then suddenly works.

An option is to use the menu system to configure the remote to work with your TV. To my understanding, that will allow the remote to send IR signals rather than communicate via CEC for those functions. Perhaps @Tivoburkee, @atc98092, @makaiguy, or @renojim can correct me. But follow the suggestions of @Tivoburkee and see if that resolves it.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
atc98092

I have two Vizio TVs with Roku players attached, one an Ultra 4670 and one a Premiere 3920. The Premiere came with an IR remote, which has no TV controls. I added a WiFi Direct remote to that player, and for both it and the Ultra I never specifically programmed either remote to control the TV. But in both cases the remotes will control the TV power and volume. So I am assuming it is via CEC. They both worked "out of the box" with no need for me to check any settings in either the Roku or the TV.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Jonas2

If you have an older Vizio tv or any older brand tv and your tv controls through the Roku remote wont work or connect try using the Roku on a different HDMI port. that seemed to work for me.

AndyMarie

I just got ours to work!

I just selected the "add new remote" function and went through the prompts. Then, when that was complete, I did the "program remote" for our ancient Vizio TV.

Worked like a charm on the first try! Give it a shot!

0 Kudos