Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Leovasckes
Reel Rookie

Re: Remote stops working even with new batteries.

Jump to solution

No, just outside the bottom to pair. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Leovasckes

Thanks for the follow up.

Can you please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Prittyflower23
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R  Please assist me as well. Every set of fresh batteries I put in my Roku 4k have failed to work. All specs on batteries are consistent with OEM batteries. My older Roku never had this problem. I have tried all the troubleshooting methods. Remote has zero activity as if there are no batteries in device. Yet they’re brand new out of wrapper.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Prittyflower23 

Just to confirm, the Roku Remote has a power button and volume buttons? Just trying to determine if it's an IR remote or a WiFi Direct remote.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Prittyflower23
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@DBDukes @Yes it has volume, power, and voice commands. I am having to use old roku stick remote (I believe it’s the stick or something similar) to use the 4k because the power/volume/voice command 4k remote does not acknowledge battery replacements beyond OEM. And specs all match. Clearly I am not the only one 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Prittyflower23 

The Voice Remotes are pretty much interchangeable. I'm not sure which Roku device you have. You keep calling it the 4K. At the risk of sounding difficult, is it:

• Roku Express 4K (came with IR remote)
  • Roku Express 4k+
  • Roku Streaming Stick 4K
  • Roku Streaming Stick 4K+
  • some other 4K capable Roku (pretty much everything currently available except the Roku Express)

The model number of your Roku would be very helpful. Settings > System > About

The sticks require a WiFi Direct remote (you're using a Voice Remote, so it's compatible), while the others can use an IR remote or WiFi Direct remote.

So, the issue, from what I can tell, is that the remote that came with your device isn't working. I'm not sure what you mean by "beyond OEM" though I think you mean initial setup it works, but then stops.

It would be helpful to actually describe the issue (never say "same" as the thread has multiple user issues, some Voice Remote, some Simple Remote, with different solutions), as well as clarify which device you have.

You have made it clear that you're temporarily using a remote from an older Stick, which means your secondary remote is a Voice Remote. But your first remote isn't clear, so the Roku model number will also tell us which remote came with it.

If your Roku is new, and the remote is defective, you may need to return the device and remote. If you got it from a local retailer, that should be simple enough. If you bought it online, you'll probably have to return the entire package.

Help us better understand what you have and the exact nature of the issue, and we'll do out best to guide you to a resolution, or how to get it replaced if possible.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Prittyflower23
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@DBDukes 
It’s an express 4k+. Model 3941x. OEM is referring to the “Duracell OEM” batteries that came with the device. The device works fine. The remote worked fine until the original batteries that came with it died. Now remote no longer works with any kind of replacement batteries. 
I’m aware remotes are interchangeable as I’ve been using an older remote that went with an older device as the work around. But I don’t want to forever more do this. I want roku to address why these remotes aren’t working with standard AAA alkaline batteries as ALL remotes do. This remote has failed to recognize ANY fresh batteries. Of any kind. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Prittyflower23 

You may simply have a bad remote. The Roku Express 4K+ device came with a Voice Remote. There have been minor modifications to the Voice Remotes, but if the device is new/recent, then it probably has the same Voice Remote you can buy in a store, but it could vary slightly. User @Tivoburkee may have some insight on that.

I also know that some of the Voice Remotes have the batteries facing the same direction, while others have the batteries in opposite/alternating directions.

Not having a Roku Express 4K+ myself, I can't speak to which came with that model, although it's possible some came with the one with batteries the same direction, and some with batteries the opposite direction. Just to be absolute certain, check the polarity of the batteries installed. But failing that, it may be that the remote is bad, and either the going bad coincided with the original batteries dying, or they didn't really die but thing stopped working because the remote is bad.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
UDF
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hey Danny , @RokuDanny-R  my remote  just stopped  working  yesterday.

I have  tried  everything, New  batteries, Tried  the  pulling batteries  out reboot the  system.

Nothing.. I  can get the pause row to work ,but the purple 4 way button nope ..

My remote from the other room works fine on this system..

Do we need to replace the remote? 

Thanks  in advance ..

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @UDF.

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. Kindly include the serial number of your Roku device so we can assist further.
Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos