Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Agaricus

Remote skips or jumps over multiple channels

Jump to solution

I’m having the same problem, and it continues when I remove the batteries from the remote, so I am certain that it is not caused by a signal the remote is emitting. I have a Roku stick. I’ve also tried power cycling the stick.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote skips or jumps over multiple channels

Jump to solution

@Bluya76 thanks for posting about the issue happening again.  This was actually a major clue, as it gave a more precise timing for how long this issue takes to re-occur  We have identified a root cause for the issue now, and expect most users affected by it are using devices that have gone without restarting for 50 days or more. 

If you are seeing this problem, please RESTART your device.  You can do that through the settings menu or just by unplugging it from power for a few seconds.

There may be other related issues that have similar symptoms, but the main problem is now understood.

I can't talk about when a fix will be deployed, but the input of the users here in posting about reproductions of the problem has been invaluable.  Thank you all for your help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
bach3
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Repairing the remote worked for me. I was getting double and triple entries the past couple weeks, and it got increasingly worse/frequent. Just did a repair and all is well, for now.

View solution in original post

462 REPLIES 462
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Greeting  @Agaricus

Welcome to the Roku Community. 

We are glad you are here so we best assist you. To better understand the situation, we'd like to ask a few questions. What Roku remote do you have, a simple or voice remote? Could you elaborate on the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to help you further. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
drmillerlp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem with a Roku stick + with voice remote. I replaced the remote, no change. I updated the stick, no change. I reset the stick, no change. Stick SN is S08Y423JL3FH

The issue is on any menu  or channel selection, you arrow left, right, up or down, and the active cursor jumps over the next 2 or 3 or more selections. Try and go back, and it races back 2 or 3 or more selections. Very difficult to get it to move one choice at a time.

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @drmillerlp

Welcome to the Roku Community. 

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior including remote connectivity.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Zapt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the same basic issue with the same equipment. After burning through the first set or two of batteries, when I now attempt to fast forward through a TV episode or movie (streamed from my Plex server), the remote issues a rapid-fire set of incorrect commands, frequently tossing me all the way to the Roku Home Screen.

Also, I’ve noticed that the Roku stick occasionally misses commands. For example, when pressing the remote’s Home button to switch inputs from cable to the Roku, it often takes two or more presses to register. Any chance the Roku is acting like an out of date PC and accumulating commands that it eventually plays as a batch?

FYI: The stick is powered by USB, and I don’t have a spare wall plug to use the adapter. It worked fine this way for the first month, so it shouldn’t be necessary to change the power source to get it to work correctly again.

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @Zapt

Thanks for posting here in Roku Community. 

Have you tried repairing your Roku voice remote and see if there's any difference after? For detailed instructions follow the steps on this link: How to fix your Roku voice or simple remote that is not working

Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player, will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV. Try doing this and see if it helps. 

Keep us posted. 

Regards, 
Nimfa 

0 Kudos
Zapt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
Yes, I did follow the instructions for repairing the remote, and it made no difference. Although they were less than a month old, replacing the batteries temporarily resolved my initial issues with the remote. Now a scant two weeks later, I am having problems with the remote again and suspect that replacing the batteries might resolve the problem again.

With most remotes (including those in a Roku 2), a set of batteries is generally good for a year or more…sometimes MUCH longer. Is the Roku remote constantly on and draining its batteries—even when the Roku input isn’t chosen? Is there some point (such as when the tv is off or when it’s powered off using the Roku remote) that the remote is NOT draining Its batteries? If indeed it’s always on, will plugging the stick into a wall outlet somehow prevent the remote’s batteries from draining? Currently, the symptoms indicate that I have a defective remote, or it’s just poorly designed and needs fresh, expensive batteries every couple of weeks.

As a test, I’ll try the wall outlet, but I fail to see what that has to do with the remote or stick suddenly generating half a dozen commands simultaneously.
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Zapt

Thanks for following up. 

If the issue still persists even after trying to plug the device into a wall outlet, keep us posted along with the serial number of your Roku device paired to your Roku remote. To get this go to Settings > System > About. 

Once we have the information, I'll be able to assist you further. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

drmillerlp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

New Roku stick, plugged into wall outlet, still jumps. Very dissatisfied. 

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @drmillerlp

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

We would like to inquire about how you are powering your Roku device. Is it connected to a USB port on your TV, or is it plugged into a wall outlet? While it may seem like the USB power provided by your TV is sufficient, it can sometimes lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior, including remote connectivity issues.

To ensure optimal performance, we recommend using the power cord and adapter included with your Roku device and plugging it into a working power outlet in the wall. This can help prevent issues related to insufficient power and ensure that your Roku device operates smoothly and reliably.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos