Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote skips or jumps over multiple channels

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response, @Avrution.

We understand you do not want to share device information via public post. No worries; we have an alternative for you. Please send us a PM here at the Roku Community. To send a private message, click the user's name beside the icon, and you will be redirected to the user's profile. There, you will see "Send this user a private message."

We look forward to hearing back from you.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
chris2point0
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just wanted to add my two cents, since something I learned from this thread solved the issue for me. I didn't have this problem with my very old Roku unit, but it finally bit the dust. So I upgraded to the Roku Ultra 4k. I'm on the latest update (12.5.0 I believe). I had the same issues that people are describing here. No problem on the home screen, but skipping past what I was aiming for from time to time on all other apps like the controller was double/triple tapping the input for me. This also led to the controller pausing and unpausing (I assume) anything I was watching on any app with one button press, although I noticed it on the Prime Video app. When I adjusted my TV volume using my Voice Pro, sometimes the volume would go all the way down, like the button stuck or something.

I tried updating, restarting, and unplugging everything. None of that worked for me. What finally worked was re-pairing my remote. I haven't had any issues since, and it's been a few days now.

So, if you haven't tried that yet, give it a shot.

0 Kudos
Avrution
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

>>When I adjusted my TV volume using my Voice Pro, sometimes the volume would go all the way down, like the button stuck or something.<<

I forgot that had been happening to me a ton.  I'd press the volume down once and the whole thing would go down.  Lots of double and triple presses.  Even pressing the center ok button it would act like a long hold sometimes.

Changed over to a regular remote and no skips, so it does seem the Voice pro is the problem in my case.

0 Kudos
Willf217

Jump to solution

I use the Roku Voice Remote Pro model RC917 and this happens on the Home Screen, the Roku Channel, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Peacock, the Weather Channel, YouTube Premium - pretty much everything I do with my Roku Streambar 

chris2point0
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I previously wrote that repairing the remote seemed to be a permanent fix for me, and I was excited that I seemed to have finally found an answer for this issue.

However, the issue came back all at once yesterday, so repairing only worked for me for about 3 weeks.

This time, the skipping issue is almost the same except before it only affected my volume when I would turn it down, and now it's affecting my volume buttons both ways on top of all the other skipping/double pause issues.

$100 for a brand new product that doesn't work like it's supposed to. This is how you lose customers, Roku. At this point, I cannot recommend Roku to anyone and I doubt if I'll ever buy another one. Was planning to buy a couple Express 4K+/4K Sticks for family this Christmas, but I guess I'll have to go with Google or Amazon.

JohnFe
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have found cycling power on the unit stops the skipping but it comes back. Software stack overflow somewhere. I have had volume control issues too. For that I have had to power cycle both Roku and TV. It’s annoying when you’re trying to watch a show and you have to jump through all the hoops again. Maybe I will try Amazon or Google. 

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

We appreciate you posting your concerns here in the Roku Community!

We understand you are having problems with your remote. Please be advised that we're aware of the situation, and the appropriate Roku team is still investigating the issue and finding a resolution. We assure you that once more information is available, we'll provide an update here in the community. We would be happy to look further into this issue, but we need more details. Please provide us with the following information:

1. Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version or build is it? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button.)
  3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).
  4. Troubleshooting steps you have taken to try resolving the issue.

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.
Best regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MaxH42
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
  1. System info
    1. Model: 4802RW (Roku Ultra)
    2. Serial #: X010007FED4S
    3. Software version: 12.5.0 build 4178-C2
  2. The issue occurs mostly on Netflix (v5.2, build 120096021) and Amazon Prime (v14.1, build 2023092022), although those are two of the only 3 we watch; we do not see this issue on Hulu (v6.77, build 1) that I've noticed
  3. That did not work for me, but on Netflix the volume will usually continue to go up or down after the first press. This could damage someone's speakers or eardrums if they're not quick enough pressing Volume Down to stop it! On Amazon Prime, it also will take multiple attempts to pause or play because the command is usually sent twice, leaving it in the previous state.
  4. I've rebooted the Roku and re-paired the remote many times, and this issue persists.
0 Kudos
JohnFe
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

1. Device Model: 4802X - Roku Ultra

S/N: X01000SGGUMP

Software: 12.5.0 build 4178~C2

Device ID: S0DA22AGGUMP

2. Hulu Version 6.77 build 1  (not recently, this may be a fixed version)  volume control is with all stations  

3. When this occurs again I will collect it.  
4. To fix the skipping problem I cycled power on the Ultra.  To fix volume problem I had to cycle power on the Sony TV.  XBR-55X390D  (w/SONOS Soundbar).  The volume pushes seemed to store up then suddenly they all came at once.  I will add I was not able to use the TV remote to adjust volume either prior to cycling power on the TV.  Prior to cycling power on TV I cycled power on Ultra and it had no effect.  We cannot rule out the TV .  

0 Kudos
steverenner
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Both of my devices have been doing this for at least a couple months now.  I have replaced batteries, and restarted the devices many times. Sometimes it is ok for awhile then right back to it again.  I went through tech support,.  They said they would look into it but I never heard anything back from them.  Went through all the steps they suggested many times.

0 Kudos