Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Inanition02
Reel Rookie

Re: Remote skips or jumps over multiple channels

Jump to solution

I'm also having the issue on multiple Roku products (a 2022 Ultra, a 2018 Ultra, an Express 4K+ 2021 and two Stick+'s from 2019) and on multiple TVs/monitors/etc.. It's most pronounced in Hulu and Disney+ but occurs in nearly all apps as far as I can tell and is not truly consistent except that it is (1) only the arrow keys as far as I can tell and (2) it always interprets a single press as EITHER a single or double press and very rarely (perhaps 5x total since this issue started about a year ago) an infinite press. It's never a triple or quadruple press.

I've tried restarts and updates, new batteries in the remotes and whatnot, but these are only short term fixes and the issue always re-appears!  Please help!

0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@Inanition02  These are all devices with RF remotes. Do you ever see this happening if you use the Roku mobile app?  Are you in a location where you can see lots of nearby WiFi networks?  I could see RF noise causing some delay in getting the button presses properly sent to the Roku devices.

0 Kudos
Inanition02
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuBen I live in a neighborhood where the homes are reasonably close together so I can see about a dozen WiFi networks or thereabouts.  Using the mobile app doesn't cause skips, but this isn't really a tenable solution since my 6 year old uses at least a couple of the devices in question and doesn't have a phone (and I'm not getting him one just to use the mobile app!)

Would localized interference cause multiple presses to be registered?  I would have thought it would just prevent them from registering at all?

0 Kudos
Inanition02
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Also, I should clarify that it NEVER happens on the Home screen - all my button presses register just fine there.  Why would apps work differently?

0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

The RF remotes sends one packet for key down and another for key up.  The key repeat is generated when there's some extended time between the device seeing the down and the up, and my theory is that a congested network might add delay on either side, and if that delay happened between the down and the up, that could act like a repeated key.

However, you seeing this only in applications and not on the home screen is interesting.  The bug fixed in 12.5.0 was about how events would be forwarded from the OS to applications and it hitting an overflow situation after the device had been booted for about 49 and a half days.  Its unlikely that the problem you're seeing is the same issue, since you say a reboot doesn't affect it.  That's why I'm thinking about more environmental aspects, especially since you have a lot of different devices on the network all affected.

0 Kudos
Inanition02
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuBen You say this was fixed in 12.5.0?  Maybe that’s the problem. The Ultra that has the worst problems with the issue is on 12.0.0 and seems “stuck” there (it’s a model 4670X - does that not qualify for the upgrade?). I just rebooted it again and re-checked for an update and it says it’s running the latest version.  Same with my Express 4K+ (model 3941X) and second Ultra (model 4660X) - both are on 12.0.0 and show no available upgrades

My third Ultra (model 4802X) IS on version 12.5.0 and doesn’t have the same problems…how do I upgrade the others?  Maybe that’s the fix I need!

0 Kudos
Bluya76
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Same here. Both of my Roku Smart Soundbars (9101x) are on version 12.0.0, last updated on 5/9/2023, and still currently there are no updates avaliable. This issue hasn't been resolved, and frankly I'm tired of the excuses and temporary fixes. I'm a huge Ruko user (fan), but this issue has put a real bitter taste in my mouth. 

rushmwr

Jump to solution

same issue.  I have a second smart remote that also works with roku which does the same thing.  So it is not likely caused by the remote itself.  Both remotes work fine moving one item at a time until I open Roku.  I did download the mobile app which works fine (except for no volume control)

0 Kudos
MaxH42
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This sounds like exactly what's been happening to us the last week or two, Inanition02. Our 4802RW will Playpause or Pauseplay almost as often as it accepts a single command to play or pause. Unfortunately, our first clue that there was a remote control issue was when the Volume Up command repeated infinitely after we released the button! It still does that one out of every 10 or 20 times we use the volume buttons, but at least now we're watching for it.

There may have been other command issues, but those are the ones we use 95+% of the time, so I don't remember seeing any others.

I hope the rollout of 12.5 can be stepped up, this is getting very annoying. Our current home theater TV is almost 15 years old, so we were already thinking of replacing it with an 8K, but this is making me think we might want to do so sooner just so we can use a TV to stream instead of a Roku box.

JohnFe
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I concluded it was not the remote. It did not skip in the home menu where we choose the app. It jumped channels in YoutubeTV and Prime not Netflix. Recently the volume was running away with a volume increase. Power cycle will fix it for a while. Sounds like a stack overflow somewhere.