Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fishmaster
Reel Rookie

Remote setup to TV THAT ALREADY HAD A PREVIOUS ROKU BOX that stopped working

I have a TV (TV-1 we'll call it) that had a Streaming stick on it and the stick and the remote worked fine with the TV.   The Streaming Stick died after only 6 months!   I took another streaming stick that I had plugged into another TV (TV-2), and I plugged that stick into TV-1.   It worked immediately EXCEPT that while it will change TV-1's channels, the power on/off and volume control functions do not work.   

I tried disconnecting the stick and then following the original startup instructions, but it skips over setup and the ROKU Home screen comes right up.   There must be a way to pair this other remote with my TV.   How can I resolve this issue?   I looked on ROKU's support info and found nothing regarding my problem.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Remote setup to TV THAT ALREADY HAD A PREVIOUS ROKU BOX that stopped working

Go to: Settings > Remotes & Devices > Remotes > [select your remote] > Set up remote for TV control.

More info here:  https://support.roku.com/article/115013019828

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Fishmaster
Reel Rookie

Re: Remote setup to TV THAT ALREADY HAD A PREVIOUS ROKU BOX that stopped working

I have tried but the serial numbers on the "My Account" page don't match the serial numbers on my actual units.   I bought them all brand new so the numbers should be correct   

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

You need a serial number to set up a remote?

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

The remote you moved from TV-2 is still set up for the control codes used by TV-2, which apparently are different from the control codes needed by TV-1.  You need to set this remote up to use the TV-1 control codes.

This is done as @Strega2 suggested, via Roku menu path: Settings > Remotes & Devices > Remotes > [select your remote] > Set up remote for TV control.

Serial numbers are not requested for this operation.  The only place I know that they are requested is for warranty support requests.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos