Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
russ-jr

Remote power button turns tv on but not Roku streaming player.

When i press power button on Roku express 4K+ the tv comes on but not the streaming player... screen on tv has error message indicating nothing is being sent to HDMI. If I then hit home button on remote or back arrow streaming player comes on. Of lesser concern but a desire is to have streaming player come on with same page when turned off ie Live menu. 

10 REPLIES 10
dmack55

Re: Remote power button turns tv on but not Roku streaming player.

Mine started doing the same thing about a week ago.  I hope someone has a solution.Mine started doing the same thing about a week ago.  I hope someone has a solution.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@russ-jr @dmack55 -

An update to Roku software version 10.5 is slowly rolling out.  For some newer Roku devices it adds a Power option under the Settings > System menu path.  If you have this new Power option, disable the Power saver to return the Roku to its previous always-on operation.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Blue87
Reel Rookie

Mine too. Doesn’t look like anyone at roku cares to answer

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Blue87,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? We'd like to know more about how we can help. In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can investigate further?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Blue87
Reel Rookie

I have the Roku Streaming Stick+ with rechargeable remote. It’s the same as the one I commented on. My remote turns my tv on but the roku does nothing. The indicator light is lit on the Roku device but no signal through to the tv’s hdmi port. It worked great for months, now this. I tried unplugging the usb power and hdmi part and plugging them back in after a while. I’ve tried holding down the reset button down too. The only thing that has worked so far is doing a hard reset where I lose everything and i have to login to everything again. And it only worked for like a day and did the same thing again. That’s getting old.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Blue87,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We are happy to assist you with the problem with your remote. Have you charged your remote and made sure it is full? The Roku rechargeable remote must be charged for at least three hours to be functional. You can check out this link here for what to do if your remote does not charge and how to fix your Roku voice remote that is not working. After doing so, please put your streaming device in pairing mode by following these steps:

1. Hold the pairing button at the back of your voice remote for 20 seconds. The status light should slowly flash green, stop, and then flash rapidly. Release the pairing button when this happens, and your remote will restart.
  2. Press and hold the pairing button at the back of the remote for 5 seconds or until the status light begins to flash. If the light does not flash, charge your remote.
  3. Wait 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your streaming device.

If the issue persists, try to restart your Roku device by unplugging it from the wall outlet and plugging it back in.

Let us know if it works.

All the best,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jdgian
Reel Rookie

I am having a similar issues. I have the Roku 4k streaming stick connected to a hdmi port on the back of my new LG tv. My remote is paired with my Roku device and the LG tv. HOWEVER, the remote will turn on the tv but not Roku. Then I have to turn off th tv with my Roku remote, wait will it powers down. Then press the power button again and the tv and Roku will both turn on. Then all is good. 

It is frustrating to have to do this. I have had Roku devices over the years and really like them. And I haven’t had this issue before the past 6 months with my new tv. This problem is annoying and happens every time I want to watch tv. Boooooo!

Is there a fix for this, a setting that I need to change…

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@jdgian 

Have you tried enabling Roku's 1-touch CEC feature?  When enabled, you should be able to power on both the TV and the Roku device by pressing any button on the Roku remote (other than Power and Volume buttons).  I normally just use the Home button.

Try enabling 1-touch from Settings/System/Control other Devices/1-touch Play

-----

If you do not wish to enable 1-touch play, then in your current setup, after you press the Power button on the Roku remote to turn on your TV, try pressing the Home button on your Roku remote to "wake up" the Roku device.  Generally, the Power button and the volume keys are considered "TV controls" and have no effect on the Roku device.  

On some setups, pressing the Power button on the Roku remote "may" be waking Roku devices because the USB port is being powered which is then waking the Roku device.  However, this is a result of the TV power scheme, and not the action of pressing the Power button on the Roku remote. (again, pressing Power has no direct effect on the Roku device.)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos

I have the same problem and your fix won't work. Brand new and worked fine until I turned the tv off. Now the tv works but no roku. 

Probably don't care since you havn't answered since july.

Maybe firestick is an option

0 Kudos